Choosing PhD in US after a QFFF master at Imperial College or?

In summary, the speaker is a master's student who is worried about their career future. They have not received any Ph.D. offers and are unsure if their grades will be good enough. They are considering applying to Ph.D. programs in the US, continuing to apply in Europe, or asking for a second year master's program at a university in continental Europe. The speaker also asks for suggestions on how to improve their English.
aworrystudent
Dear everyone,

I have a question about career future and I am deeply worrying about it.

I am currently a master student in QFFF program at Imperial College. I will graduate soon but haven't get any Ph.D. offer (I applied a couple of places in Europe, some does not reply, some rejected me, perhaps I am a oversea student, espeically lack of funding for oversea student in UK). I think my grade cannot reach "distinction" (Is grade very crucial? I have two papers published on Phys. Rev. A, but it is not high-energy physics) and I would like to do either hep-th/cosmology, not hep-ph/hep-lat/quantum information.

I am thinking about three possibilties

1) Apply US (I don't have GRE score right now).
Cons:
Does it somehow a waste of time? I heard in US you have to redo classical mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical physics, and quantum mechanics. But in QFFF, it starts from QFT, GR, supersymmetry, string theory...
Pros: more funding in US, more places in US.

2) Continuing apply Ph.D. places in Europe
I am doing that, but I am not really sure about the result

3) Asking some continental Europe university if I can do a second year Master (in UK this is one year)

Perhaps in reality, 1) is the only option. However, I desperately would like to see your comments and opinions... Esepcially, if I enter graduate program in US, can I waive a few exams?

Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did your Master's include grad-level classes in qm, stat mech, e&m, and classical mech? If yes, you shouldn't need to retake anything, but any gap will have to be filled for a PhD in physics.

You need the general GRE and the physics GRE and possibly an English proficiency exam (you'll probably get a waiver on that but I can tell your English needs improvement, no offense).

TomServo said:
Did your Master's include grad-level classes in qm, stat mech, e&m, and classical mech? If yes, you shouldn't need to retake anything, but any gap will have to be filled for a PhD in physics.

You need the general GRE and the physics GRE and possibly an English proficiency exam (you'll probably get a waiver on that but I can tell your English needs improvement, no offense).

Thank you very much! I also feel I need to improve my English. Would you give me any suggestion?

aworrystudent said:
Thank you very much! I also feel I need to improve my English. Would you give me any suggestion?
I only hear native people say "I feel" in phrases like "I feel better", "I feel like I need...", "I feel like doing..."
Your "feel" above already takes over the place of "think","know" or "guess", all of which should be a better choice. In some countries where English is not the first language of use i.e Singapore, Vietnam..., "feel" seems overused since its meaning maps naturally well to the speaker's mother tongue's.

This is just my personal opinion, if you google, you might also find examples of feel used in an exactly the same way as you do by native speakers, I just find it rare, perhaps due to my limited cases interacting with more native speakers.

Likes 1 person
inotyce said:
I only hear native people say "I feel" in phrases like "I feel better", "I feel like I need...", "I feel like doing..."
Your "feel" above already takes over the place of "think","know" or "guess", all of which should be a better choice. In some countries where English is not the first language of use i.e Singapore, Vietnam..., "feel" seems overused since its meaning maps naturally well to the speaker's mother tongue's.

This is just my personal opinion, if you google, you might also find examples of feel used in an exactly the same way as you do by native speakers, I just find it rare, perhaps due to my limited cases interacting with more native speakers.

Thank you very much for your kind instruction. I really appreciate your help.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in the US after completing a QFFF master at Imperial College?

There are several benefits to pursuing a PhD in the US after completing a QFFF master at Imperial College. These include access to top research facilities and resources, exposure to a diverse and international academic community, and the opportunity to work with renowned professors and experts in your field.

2. How do I choose the right PhD program in the US?

Choosing the right PhD program in the US can be a daunting task, but there are a few key factors to consider. These include the program's reputation and ranking, the faculty's research interests and expertise, the availability of funding and resources, and the location and cost of living.

3. Can I apply for a PhD program in the US with a QFFF master from Imperial College in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a PhD program in the US with a QFFF master from Imperial College in a different field. However, you may be required to take additional coursework to meet the prerequisites for your chosen program.

4. Are there any language requirements for pursuing a PhD in the US?

Language requirements vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. Some may require proof of English proficiency, while others may offer language support for non-native speakers. It is important to check the specific requirements of each program you are interested in.

5. What are the chances of securing funding for a PhD program in the US?

Funding for PhD programs in the US can come from a variety of sources, including scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and fellowships. The availability and competitiveness of funding opportunities may vary, so it is important to research and apply to multiple options to increase your chances of securing funding.