Choosing Postgrad Programme: Arithmetic Combinatorics Vs Algebraic Number Theory

In summary, the speaker is struggling to choose between taking the Algebraic Number Theory or the Combinatorics modules for their postgrad programme. Although they are more interested in Combinatorics, their professors are advising them to go for the ANT option due to its perceived challenges and respect in the mathematical society. However, the courses are mutually exclusive and the speaker must make a decision. One argument for taking ANT is that the department has a number of staff specializing in it, providing better courses and research opportunities. However, the speaker is attending the programme in another school with renowned mathematicians in both ANT and Combinatorics. The speaker also mentions that they are unsure of where they will do research after getting their PhD, but are confident
deetz
Dear all,

I am attending a taught postgrad programme starting next October. I can not decide whether to take the Algebraic Number Theory or the (additive/arithmetic) Combinatorics modules. My choice will determine my PhD route, so it is a choice of career rather than just a choice of courses.

I am really interested in Combinatorics more than ANT. However, some of my professors are advising me to go for the ANT option because they claim that anybody can catch up with Combinatorics later in his life and because ANT is more challenging and respectable in the mathematical society these days. One should mention that my department has mostly Analysts and Alg. Numb. theorists in it (no one specializing in Combinatorics here :D).

The aforementioned courses are almost mutually exclusive (in the sense that registering the Combinatorics courses will rule out most of the ANT courses due to lectures overlapping and vice versa.) Thus, I have to take a crisp decision.

What do you think I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org

One argument for taking ANT is that your department has a number of them on staff (so probably better courses, more research opportunities, more people to discuss your research with and/or collaborate with).

Gokul43201 said:
One argument for taking ANT is that your department has a number of them on staff (so probably better courses, more research opportunities, more people to discuss your research with and/or collaborate with).

I should have said that I am taking the programme in another school (another continent, to be precise :smile:). At any rate, there are very renowned mathematicians there working in both ANT and combinatorics (not simultaneously).

I mentioned that my department has a number of staff specializing on ANT so as not to be told to ask my current professors and also to give a reason for their preference of ANT (it is their specialty after all.)

I do not know where I will be able to do research after getting my PhD, but I think I can always find a healthy community of combinatorists or algebraic number theorists.

1. What is the difference between arithmetic combinatorics and algebraic number theory?

Arithmetic combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of patterns and structures in finite sets of numbers, whereas algebraic number theory deals with the properties of numbers that can be expressed as solutions to algebraic equations.

2. Which postgraduate program is more suitable for students interested in pure mathematics?

Both arithmetic combinatorics and algebraic number theory are areas of pure mathematics. However, algebraic number theory is more closely related to abstract algebra and number theory, while arithmetic combinatorics has connections to both combinatorics and number theory.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these postgraduate programs?

Most universities require students to have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in algebra, calculus, and number theory, before pursuing a postgraduate degree in arithmetic combinatorics or algebraic number theory.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of these programs?

Graduates of these postgraduate programs typically pursue careers in academia as researchers and professors. They may also find employment in industries such as cryptography, data science, and computer science, where a strong foundation in mathematics is highly valued.

5. Can students switch between these programs during their studies?

While it is possible for students to switch between these programs, it is not recommended as they have different focuses and may require different prerequisite courses. It is best to choose the program that aligns with your interests and career goals from the beginning.