Which Research Path Should I Choose for a Practical Application in Grad School?

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary: I'm not sure if its because I'm not really into engineering or what, but I just don't think they're that great.
creepypasta13
i'm in my 4th year in college but will graduate next fall, double majoring in physics and applied math. I'm looking for applied math or mechanical engineering for grad school, probably computational fluid dynamics or heat transfer for ME. i really want to make weapons, missiles, etc for a defense contractor as the technology sounds very interesting (but not necessarily very moral)

i hate experiemnts, and would rather do computation/modeling/simulation. i love my math/physics classes that use paper and pencil

i'm thinking of doing research for this spring quarter and maybe next fall

heres the dilemma:
1. I've been doing research in biophysics/applied math/fluid dynamics right now. i started about 2 weeks ago. so far, I've just been reading research papers. so far, its pretty boring as its mostly biophysics and not really applied math.

2. i spoke with another prof today about doing reserach in materials science modeling/applied math, and it sounded much more interesting. seems to use some stat mech, which is my favorite part about physics. but the applications are kinda lame: quantum dots, making lasers, etc. not really what I'm looking for.

which one should i choose? i want to do something practical in grad school, and not do something too theoretical. I've found that i don't have a passion for any particular subjects, so i don't want to do something theoretical for a phD, hate it in the middle of it, and then drop out and not find a job

Physics news on Phys.org
This can be a common issue, where someone likes working for something but its application is lame, disappointing, and far-fetched.

I believe that no matter what the application is, you should do something that you love so much that you can do it while eating, walking, and so on. No matter how great the application may be, if you find it boring it is hard to make it your second nature.

Unknot said:
I believe that no matter what the application is, you should do something that you love so much that you can do it while eating, walking, and so on.

i don't like anything THAT much

It might be worth pointing out that if you've only been doing something for 2 weeks, you likely haven't given it much of a chance. And any project is very likely going to start out with a lot of reading.

At the undergraduate level, your goal in getting involved in research shouldn't be so much about doing precisely what you see yourself going into for graduate studies. Rather, it should be about learning skills and expanding your horizons so that when it comes time to make the bigger decisions in life you will have a broad context of experience on which to draw.

When faced with a decision between 2 research projects, I would ask questions along the lines of:
- what skills will you develop by working on this project?
- programming?
- statistics?
- practical laboratory skills, such as operating magnetic resonance equipment?
- trade skills such as machining, circuit fabrication?
- writing?
- experimental design?
- what areas of physics is this work going to reinforce?
- ie. will you do a substantial amount of reading into a particular field?
- what networking opportunities will this project provide?
- will this lead to a decent reference if you perform well?
- do you understand your role in the project?
- will this work lead to any opportunities for publication, or conference attendance?
- how will you be reimbursed for your time?
- what is the time committment, and can you afford to take that amount of time off from your studies?

both of them are applied math, so i won't pick up any lab/equipment skills

for the materials modeling one, i understand the problem much easier and don't have to read nearly as many reserach papers as for the biophysics one

i won't get paid for either onethey both will mostly use programming. at least for the materials modeling, i will use stats as well.

i think my biophysics prof just wants me to come up with ideas for how to solve the problem. whereas the materials modeling one wants me to run the program to solve the problem he's working on

again, the materials modeling sounds MUCH more interesting than the biophysics one

well, since i need a decision soon, i will most likely go with the materials modeling one

ok, i will choose the materials modeling then

It sounds like that's the answer you've been looking for.

ok, i have a fairly big problem here. when I talked with the materials professor about a month ago about doing research with him, his work sounded interesting but I told him that the applications of it (designing lasers, etc) didn't really interest me, so I told him that I would think about it. About a week ago, I told him that I decided that I'd be willing to help him anyways. He responded about a day later saying that's ok, but I won't get class credit for it, since I told him I don't need it. Then I told him that I'm ready to work and can stop by his office whenever he needs me.

Well, its been about a week now, and he hasn't responded yet. As for the fluid mech professor, I haven't contacted him in a month now. The last time I contacted him, I asked him some questions about what he expects from my powerpoint presentation, and he still hasn't responded. The last thing I want is to have NO professors to work with...

I'm assuming this is all though email. Some people are better at relying than others when it comes to things like this. I would try to phone them or better yet, catch them in their offices and at very least, make an appointment during which time you can express your concerns.

Choppy said:
I'm assuming this is all though email. Some people are better at relying than others when it comes to things like this. I would try to phone them or better yet, catch them in their offices and at very least, make an appointment during which time you can express your concerns.

hmm, i will try to see him in person today, even though i have no idea what his office hours are

What factors should be considered when choosing a research dilemma?

When choosing a research dilemma, there are several factors that should be taken into consideration. These include the significance of the problem, the feasibility of conducting the research, the availability of resources, the potential impact of the research, and the researcher's personal interests and expertise.

How can I identify a research dilemma?

Identifying a research dilemma involves reviewing existing literature, observing current trends and issues in your field, and consulting with experts. It's important to choose a dilemma that is relevant and has not been extensively researched.

What are the potential ethical considerations when choosing a research dilemma?

When choosing a research dilemma, it is important to consider potential ethical issues such as informed consent, confidentiality, and potential harm to participants. Researchers must also ensure that their methods and procedures are ethical and follow institutional guidelines.

How will my research dilemma contribute to the existing body of knowledge?

Your research dilemma should aim to fill a gap in the existing body of knowledge and contribute to the understanding of a particular topic. This could involve providing new insights, challenging existing theories, or proposing practical solutions to a problem.

What are some common pitfalls to avoid when choosing a research dilemma?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when choosing a research dilemma include selecting a problem that is too broad, choosing a topic that has already been extensively researched, and failing to consider the feasibility of conducting the research. It's also important to clearly define your research question and ensure it aligns with your research goals and objectives.