Choosing the right steel for pressure accumulator shell

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to build a pressure accumulator for a machine part, with a desired pressure of 60 bar. However, there is uncertainty about the material and calculations needed for this task, as the accumulator has a non-uniform shape and will be exposed to high pressures. It is recommended to use a material with high strength and corrosion resistance, and to carefully consider all factors before designing the accumulator to prevent potential failures.
JuzerNejm101
I need to build a pressure accumulator which will be then used as a spring actually (upper side of the accumulator will be filled with nitrogen, and the lower won't be filled with oil, but will have a rod which will be holding movement of a machine part (rod) at a high frequency.) I'm having trouble choosing the right material for this purpose.
I'm not sure how much pressure I will require inside, so I took an above expected value of 60 bar. By inserting the values of pressure and a surface area in the formula p= F/A i get an value around 50 kN.
BUt then again using formulae for stresses from here (page 15-10):
www(point)navsea(point)navy(point)mil/nswc/carderock/src/mechrel/products/handbook/CHAPTER15RevB(point)pdf

I get really low results (the stresses (after converting units) end up to be between approx 2-7 N/mm2).
So I think I'm doing something wrong. Because these results indicate I can actually use any type of steel, which can't be right because I'm worrking with some rather high pressures / forces acting on the material in there.
The other thing is, my wall thickness isn't really constant and it's not cylindrical nor spherical as these formulae describe. It's following a curve of a membrane so it's more eliptical.
Can someone guide me to the right path? Thx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will need to use advanced calculations to determine the stresses in your pressure accumulator. You will need to take into account the shape of your accumulator, the maximum pressure it will be exposed to, the material properties, and any other factors that might influence the stress levels. You will also need to factor in any safety margins.For this type of application, you should use a material with high strength and good corrosion resistance. Commonly used materials for pressure accumulators include stainless steel, aluminum alloy, titanium, and composite materials. Each material will have different properties and must be carefully evaluated for its suitability in your application.It is also important to ensure that your accumulator is designed properly and that the seals are of the highest quality. If there is a failure in the accumulator, the consequences could be catastrophic.

1. What are the factors to consider when choosing steel for a pressure accumulator shell?

When choosing steel for a pressure accumulator shell, there are several factors to consider including the desired strength and toughness, corrosion resistance, weldability, and cost.

2. How do I determine the necessary strength for the pressure accumulator shell?

The necessary strength for a pressure accumulator shell can be determined by calculating the maximum pressure the accumulator will be subjected to and selecting a steel with a yield strength greater than this pressure.

3. Is corrosion resistance important for a pressure accumulator shell?

Yes, corrosion resistance is crucial for a pressure accumulator shell as it will be exposed to different environmental conditions and fluids that can cause corrosion over time. Choosing a steel with good corrosion resistance can prolong the life of the accumulator.

4. Can any type of steel be used for a pressure accumulator shell?

No, not all types of steel are suitable for pressure accumulator shells. It is important to choose a steel with high strength and toughness, such as low alloy or high-strength low-alloy steel, to withstand the high pressures and potential impacts that the accumulator may experience.

5. What tests should be performed on the steel before using it for a pressure accumulator shell?

Prior to using the steel for a pressure accumulator shell, it is important to conduct mechanical tests, such as tension and impact tests, to ensure the steel meets the necessary strength and toughness requirements. Additionally, corrosion resistance tests should be performed to ensure the steel is suitable for the environment it will be exposed to.