Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing the right steel for pressure accumulator shell

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    I need to build a pressure accumulator which will be then used as a spring actually (upper side of the accumulator will be filled with nitrogen, and the lower won't be filled with oil, but will have a rod which will be holding movement of a machine part (rod) at a high frequency.) I'm having trouble choosing the right material for this purpose.
    I'm not sure how much pressure I will require inside, so I took an above expected value of 60 bar. By inserting the values of pressure and a surface area in the formula p= F/A i get an value around 50 kN.
    BUt then again using formulae for stresses from here (page 15-10):
    www(point)navsea(point)navy(point)mil/nswc/carderock/src/mechrel/products/handbook/CHAPTER15RevB(point)pdf

I get realy low results (the stresses (after converting units) end up to be between approx 2-7 N/mm2).
    So I think I'm doing something wrong. Because these results indicate I can actually use any type of steel, which can't be right because I'm worrking with some rather high pressures / forces acting on the material in there.
    The other thing is, my wall thickness isn't realy constant and it's not cylindrical nor spherical as these formulae describe. It's following a curve of a membrane so it's more eliptical.
    Can someone guide me to the right path? Thx.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted