1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing the right university

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    Can anyone tell me about pursuing physics majors at university of illinois at urbana champaign?
    Though it is ranked 22 in physics by qs but there are a lot of reviews that it is referred as a "party university" which makes me think that the education environment there is not very good.
    Can you tell me some very good universities for majoring in physics in US (for becoming a researcher) but need not to be necessarily famous or top ranked.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You could do a lot worse than the University of Illinois. Pay no attention to rankings, and pay no attention to internet reviews.

4. Oct 10, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The parties are a problem only if you have no will-power to avoid them. ;)

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4
    I really like the physics classes I've taken so far at my school, and we're not really known as a party school, everyone here seems so brilliant. Check out their physics department here at William and Mary, I don't know the ranking for it (the school itself is a "public ivey" though), but it's the alma mater of Dr. Ellen Stofan (chief scientist of NASA) who came just the other week to give several seminars on international cooperation with the space industry. We had a geology department seminar from another NASA geologist about features on the Moon, and NASA has been here for several internship workshops (I went to one, and so did some physics undergrads and graduates). Just an idea if NASA interest you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook