1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chopper wake

1. Nov 17, 2003 #1
    hi guys,
    this is my first post..been a reader of the forum for some time. heres an argument i had with someone today. suppose a helicopter is hovering still over a lake/deep enough pool of water. also, it is wide enough. the chopper is close to the water (for eg...dropping a swimmer or a marine....basically close!)
    will the chopper cause any depression (i.e cavity) of certain depth? or will it just set waves. i feel there is going to be a certain depression and also waves and that i can analyse the problem as a uniform airflow impinging on a wall of water with a central line from the center of the chopper to a "stagnation" point on the water surface. my friend feels that the assuming of the wall is not justified and that it is just going to set of waves.
    comments? not a well defined problem. maybe to make it well defined: what is the depth of the cavity?? (:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It will cause a depression. You can solve Bernoulli's equation to figure out how much.

- Warren

4. Nov 17, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hint: the downwash force is equal to the weight of the chopper. This divided by the area gives pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?