Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christmas and commercialization

1. Dec 22, 2006 #1
    :smile: It's just dawned on me last night that it is in fact Christmas, so that's why all those decorations are all over the place. And the TV adverts for crappy perfumes and toys that'll break in five minutes. The endless songs about Christmas on the radio, oh and the weathers cold and foggy or cloudy. Got it?:smile:

Anyone else having trouble getting into the spirit of Christmas, Athesists, agnostics, theists,Budhists whatever your reason to celebrate or not, are you having trouble noticing that it's Christmas this year? Have you been burgled,or had your Christmass bonus cancelled or like me have you just been too busy to take stock and accept that someone was in fact born at some point in time some two thousand or so years ago, and so we are obliged to celebrate, whether we find significance or not. Or are you one of those annoying people who just gets carried away and inflicts Christmas cheer on even the most down hearted people, despite it not always being welcome.:smile:

So what's the deal with you? Anything like me and my blahness about the whole deal? Could you care less, or is it a magical time for giving and sharing for you, someone must apreciate the deal, where I come from the UK, it's a much more secular afair.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

'Jesus was born, and so I get presents.
    Thank you, Jesus, for being born.'
    --Eric Cartman :biggrin:

Joke aside, the thing that irritates me is people getting their bank accounts into minuses to make a great and expensive Christmas shopping without actually any imagination or the component of surprise. If they were a bit smarter (damn, not just a bit), they'd spend less money and make their families even happier.

4. Dec 22, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm one of those who inflicts Christmas cheers on everyone I meet! :biggrin: It's entirely a secular holiday for me, and is to be celebrated with lots of brightly lit trees and decorations (I even got a cheap, light-up necklace this year that looks like a string of Christmas lights to wear to the party at the house of the person who didn't decorate this year), tons of food, especially cookies and chocolate (if I didn't gain some weight for Christmas, I wouldn't be able to make the traditional New Year's resolution to lose 10 lbs :biggrin:), loud, silly songs everyone knows the words to, and presents. The only part I don't get this year is watching little kids in their jammies shredding giftwrap on Christmas morning.

5. Dec 22, 2006 #4
    My mother's like that, she goes christmas mental every year, she has a bout a dozen Christmas CD's with music from: The Pogues Fairy Tale of New York to Silent Night, she's an unconventional Christian, very very liberal and any old tat that reminds her of Christmas is worth a shot. I think I actually kind of miss that, at least I had someone to remind me :smile: I mean even if your not Christian there's still Io Saturnalia or New years, so I guess I should make more of an effort. Maybe I should become a new age celt.

Cartman is right and that's how all kids think, unless they're Kenny or Kail :smile:

I did my Christmas shopping on Teusday it cost £120 pounds took five minutes and I didn't even leave my pc.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  6. Dec 22, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know someone who didn't believe the chimney song even existed. :cry:

7. Dec 22, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've just been busy, but no matter.

I'll get a tree tomorrow.
    Sunday and Monday I'll do my Christmas shopping.
    Tuesday I'll bake some cookies and stuff.
    Wednesday I'll buy some things for the Christmas dinner.
    Thursday I'll buy a calendar.

8. Dec 22, 2006 #7
    What's the chimney song?

9. Dec 22, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: At least you'll be well-stocked for the New Year's Eve celebration! :biggrin:

10. Dec 22, 2006 #9
    I am excited, really excited to know that in a few days I won't hear anymore of those idiotic lyrics around the clock:

"Deck the halls with boughs of holly
    Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la"

"Frosty the snowman was a jolly happy soul,
    With a corncob pipe and a button nose
    and two eyes made out of coal."

"Thumpetty thump thump,
    thumpety thump thump,
    Look at Frosty go."

"Here comes Santa Claus!
    Here comes Santa Claus!
    Right down Santa Claus Lane!"

"O Christmas Tree,
    O Christmas Tree,
    Your boughs can
    teach a lesson
    That constant faith
    and hope sublime
    Lend strength and
    comfort through all time."

"Then all the reindeer loved him"

"On the eighth day of Christmas
    my true love sent to me:
    Eight maids a milking,
    Seven swans a swimming,
    Six geese a laying,
    Five golden rings,
    Four calling birds,
    Three French Hens,
    Two turtle doves
    And a Partridge in a pear tree."

How anyone can stand this idiocy for more than a month everyday in every place they go is beyond me.

11. Dec 22, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Christmas is the time I get the best data from my experiments. The department is mostly deserted - no vibrations, electrical noise, etc. I hope to put in some solid 15-hour-days over this week.

12. Dec 22, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love those songs! But, then again, I have barely gotten out to any malls, so only hear them when I play them at home. I got my shopping done early this year (yet, am still going to have to battle the last minute crowds at the mall because a post-doc just got a new job and is leaving next week! :grumpy: She should have the decency to stay until after the new year so I can delay buying her going away present until after Christmas when the only lines are at the returns counters!)

13. Dec 22, 2006 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good thing you didn't mention:

"Jack Frost roasting o'er an open fire
    Chestnuts nipping at your toes"

That's my favorite Christmas song.

My kids seldom dreamed of candy canes and sugar plums around Christmas time.

14. Dec 22, 2006 #13
    It's hardly surprising when you have machinations to kill seasonal figures over an open fire!:eek:

15. Dec 22, 2006 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Dec 22, 2006 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bah, Humbug!

We are still discussing the possibility of getting a tree. If I can keep it in discussion for just a few more days, the need will pass!

oh yeah,,,,, Celebrate the Solstice

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  17. Dec 22, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I just finished my upper division electromagnetism class yesterday. Need I say more?

I'll give Griffiths a present, my fist in his face.

18. Dec 22, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why the hostility? I thought he did a pretty good job.

19. Dec 22, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The book was fine

The murderous rage that fills me from having to take the class isnt.

20. Dec 22, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your major?

21. Dec 22, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

physics

it was just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard. Our professor was nuts too, he'd be lecturing and then skip like 30 steps and we'd just stare in amazement as he did triple integrals in his head.

Then of course when the final answer came, he would be like ".... hmm wait... theres suppose to be a 4 pi there...*puts 4 pi in the answer*.... ok there we go, thats the dipole in spherical coordinates, any questions?" .

im so glad im out of there for the semester

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?