Christmas Carol for the Physicists

In summary: This parody, however, seems to have a political agenda and lacks any real scientific substance. It may be amusing to some, but it could also be seen as insulting to those who take climate change seriously. In summary, the conversation discusses a parody video that may be seen as insulting to scientists and those who believe in climate change. The video is deemed to have little scientific value and is more of a political joke.
jobyts

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea who that was designed for, possibly to indoctrinate children. The music is very poor, the science is inexistent, the political argument is preposterous. I consider you insult physicists by posting that this loss of time is suitable for them.

humanino said:
I have no idea who that was designed for, possibly to indoctrinate children. The music is very poor, the science is inexistent, the political argument is preposterous. I consider you insult physicists by posting that this loss of time is suitable for them.

I found the parody quite funny. I didn't think at all about the science or validity of it. I may not show it to someone who has Rush Limbaugh in their ipod. To scientists, it should be ok. I don't think it insults anyone. Do you get insulted when you watch a movie where animals talk, because in real life it doesn't happen?

jobyts said:
Do you get insulted when you watch a movie where animals talk, because in real life it doesn't happen?
It does ridicule GW alarmists in general and Al Gore in particular. It is a political joke. A scientific joke should have the beginning of a scientific content. Why is it suitable for "physicists" or even "scientists" in general ?

A movie with talking animals can be enjoyable, it could even have a scientific content.

What is "Christmas Carol for the Physicists"?

"Christmas Carol for the Physicists" is a humorous poem written by physicist Sidney Perkowitz, which applies principles of physics to the traditional Christmas carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It was published in the journal Physics Today in 2011.

Why did Sidney Perkowitz write "Christmas Carol for the Physicists"?

Sidney Perkowitz wrote "Christmas Carol for the Physicists" as a fun way to combine his love for physics and the holiday season. He wanted to show that physics can be applied to everyday situations and also bring a smile to people's faces.

What scientific concepts are mentioned in "Christmas Carol for the Physicists"?

The poem mentions various scientific concepts such as Newton's Laws of Motion, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It also references famous physicists like Albert Einstein and Max Planck.

Is "Christmas Carol for the Physicists" accurate from a scientific standpoint?

While the poem is meant to be lighthearted and humorous, the scientific concepts mentioned are accurate. However, they may be simplified or exaggerated for the sake of the poem's rhyming and storytelling.

Can I use "Christmas Carol for the Physicists" as a teaching tool?

Yes, "Christmas Carol for the Physicists" can be used as a fun and unique way to introduce or reinforce scientific concepts in a classroom or educational setting. It can also spark discussions and further explorations of these concepts.