Troubleshooting Xmas Lights: Comparing Plan A & Plan B

In summary, in ancient times, Christmas lights were wired in series and if one bulb failed, the whole string would go dark. There are two competing troubleshooting strategies: Plan A involves testing each bulb in sequence until the bad one is found, while Plan B uses a multimeter to perform a binary search. Assuming equal likelihood of bulb failure, the probability that Plan A requires fewer tests than Plan B is 1/2 for any string length.
nbalderaz
In ancient times (the Twentieth Century) strings of Christmas lights were wired
strictly in series, so if one bulb failed, the entire string would go dark. Consider
two competing troubleshooting strategies:

Plan A: You start at one end of the string and test each bulb in sequence,
until you find the bad one, then replace it.

Plan B: Using your trusty multimeter, you can test intervals of the string.
You use it to perform a binary search for the bad bulb.
Assume that every light in a string is equally likely to fail.
(1) For a string of n lights, what is the probability that Plan A requires fewer tests than Plan B?
(2) Calculate this probability for n = {16, 24}.

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) The probability that Plan A requires fewer tests than Plan B is 1/2. This is because in the worst case scenario, both plans require exactly the same number of tests. (2) For n=16, the probability is 1/2. For n=24, the probability is also 1/2.

(1) The probability that Plan A requires fewer tests than Plan B depends on the location of the faulty bulb. If the faulty bulb is near the beginning of the string, Plan A will require fewer tests. If the faulty bulb is near the end of the string, Plan B will require fewer tests. Assuming that the faulty bulb is equally likely to be at any position in the string, the probability that Plan A requires fewer tests than Plan B can be calculated as follows:

For a string of n lights, there are n possible positions where the faulty bulb could be. Out of these n positions, the probability that the faulty bulb is near the beginning of the string is approximately 1/n. Therefore, the probability that Plan A requires fewer tests is approximately 1/n.

(2) For n = 16, the probability that Plan A requires fewer tests is 1/16 or approximately 0.0625.

For n = 24, the probability that Plan A requires fewer tests is 1/24 or approximately 0.0417.

In conclusion, Plan A has a higher probability of requiring fewer tests than Plan B for a string of Christmas lights with a larger number of lights. This is because as the number of lights increases, the probability of the faulty bulb being near the beginning of the string decreases, making it more likely for Plan B to require more tests.

1. What is the difference between Plan A and Plan B for troubleshooting Christmas lights?

Plan A typically involves checking for any loose or broken bulbs, replacing fuses, and checking the outlet for any issues. Plan B involves using a light tester to check for any faulty bulbs and using extension cords to bypass any problematic sections of lights.

2. How do I know which plan to use for troubleshooting my Christmas lights?

If you have a specific bulb or section of lights that is not working, it is best to start with Plan A and check for any obvious issues. If the issue is not easily identified, then move on to Plan B and use a light tester to pinpoint the problem.

3. Can Plan A and Plan B be used together?

Yes, both plans can be used together to troubleshoot Christmas lights. In some cases, using Plan B may help identify an issue that would have been missed with Plan A alone.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when troubleshooting Christmas lights?

It is important to always unplug the lights before troubleshooting and to handle any broken bulbs with care. If using extension cords for Plan B, make sure they are rated for outdoor use and do not overload them with too many lights.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to fix my Christmas lights after using both Plan A and Plan B?

If both plans have been exhausted and the lights still do not work, it may be time to replace them. It is also recommended to consult a professional for further assistance in troubleshooting the issue.