Christmas Presents: What Did Santa Bring You?

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, my brother got me a baseball pitch catch trainer thingy, my sister got me a Mittens hoodie, my wife got me a Treeing Walker Coon Hound DNA breed determination, and my niece and sister got me books with a science connection.
ergospherical
Alright guys, spill the tea... what'dya get?
Santa gave me a neat little periodic table paperweight-thing with some samples inside. 😄
Happy Christmas!

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Fervent Freyja and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Very nice Periodic Table! I saw that advertised in my Facebook feed a month or two ago, and almost bought one. It was pretty pricey, though, so I passed it up. Whoever gave it to you was very generous (and on-point, of course)! :smile:

My present was a baseball pitch/catch trainer thingy. I used to have a very accurate cannon of an arm back in high school, but recently I tried playing catch with my 11 y/o grandson, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my throws (it was aggravated by the fact that he was very tentative catching the ball, so I was trying to be super careful to throw easy).

I got it early and have used it a couple times now, and my throws are improving... :smile:

1640446865391.png

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, DennisN, Astronuc and 5 others
berkeman said:
Very nice Periodic Table! I saw that advertised in my Facebook feed a month or two ago, and almost bought one. It was pretty pricey, though, so I passed it up. Whoever gave it to you was very generous (and on-point, of course)! :smile:

My present was a baseball pitch/catch trainer thingy. I used to have a very accurate cannon of an arm back in high school, but recently I tried playing catch with my 11 y/o grandson, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my throws (it was aggerevated by the fact that he was very tentative catching the ball, so I was trying to be super careful to throw easy).

I got it early and have used it a couple times now, and my throws are improving... :smile:

View attachment 294715
My older brother sure could have used that when I was growing up. He used to use the back of the couch. Mom would yell at him for it, saying that if he missed, he put a hole in the wall. His response was " I won't miss." Long story short, while Mom and Dad were out, and he was left watching My sister and I, he took the chance to get some pitching practice in. My parents came home to all all of us quietly sitting on the couch. Then my brother slowly moved his head to reveal the baseball sized hole in the wall.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Hamiltonian, ergospherical and 2 others
Likes DennisN and ergospherical
My favorite two presents that melted my heart:

My mom took my daughter shopping for my present and she chose one that perfectly displays her compassion and awareness. A little elephant that helps you when your “tummy” is hurting. It’s meaningful because I know she pays more attention to me than I had reckoned! That it’s actually a stuffy to soothe babies and she didn’t know that makes it all the more sweeter.
E466B110-E4EF-485C-8A61-9C0172A8BBD3.jpeg

The second was an unexpected message and $50 Amazon gift card from a coworker that made my Christmas Eve. I love it when people speak their minds. And the gift also suggests that I might just have another good friend in the making. I’ll be taking her out for sure. She’s very interesting and adventurous (expert skydiver). Now I know what she thinks about me.
5F648C10-5131-43B4-8D2F-CB85E24729FF.jpeg

Likes DennisN, Hamiltonian and ergospherical
StevieTNZ said:
Money (love money) and chocolate. My half-sister got me a Mittens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittens_(cat)) hoodie which I absolutely love.
Oh, and watching Her Majesty The Queen's Christmas message. That's always a good Christmas gift.

Likes pinball1970
My best present wasn't a present for me, but for the whole family.

My wife had one of our dogs spit in the cup for a DNA breed determination. As we suspected she is a purebred Treeing Walker Coon Hound.

Likes Astronuc, DennisN, Fervent Freyja and 2 others
My daughter who lives in Laos and is back in the US for a rare visit, and who of course is well aware of my love affair with wood, brought this back as a Christmas present for me. It was carved in a village near where she lives. It's Burmese padauk / Pterocarpus macrocarpus, which in Laos is called maidu / maidou, which means "red wood". It's 6.5" tall and 7" long. Not sure what the tusks are made of but they appear to be wood. Probably just particularly clear sapwood of the same tree.

1640543326149.png

1640543341734.png
1640543349008.png

• Love
  • Wow
Likes dlgoff, Astronuc, Klystron and 10 others
Slim pickings to be honest. My niece and sister always get me books that have a science connection. I requested they just left it this year as I don't read books any more I research on the net. Anyway I got three books. One had the word 'brain' in the title. Charity shop.
Anyway on a lighter note I DID get a great birthday present (week 1-3 December) It was a T shirt from my co-workers. The standard model.
I'll post a picture.

Likes DennisN, Fervent Freyja and Hamiltonian
phinds said:
My daughter who lives in Laos and is back in the US for a rare visit, and who of course is well aware of my love affair with wood, brought this back as a Christmas present for me. It was carved in a village near where she lives. It's Burmese padauk / Pterocarpus macrocarpus, which in Laos is called maidu / maidou, which means "red wood". It's 6.5" tall and 7" long. Not sure what the tusks are made of but they appear to be wood. Probably just particularly clear sapwood of the same tree.

View attachment 294768

View attachment 294769View attachment 294770
I like!

My favorite brother-in-law gifted me with three hard cover political science books: "Peril", "Betrayal" and "The Changing World Order". I shall read each book, discuss them with my BIL, then offset the gloom induced by harsh reality with some light fiction (or hard science).

Perhaps the new English translation of Felix Salten's 1923 novel "Bambi" (original title: Bambi: Eine Lebensgeschichte aus dem Walde) featuring talking animals to predict the Holocaust will lighten the mood (/s).

Likes Fervent Freyja, Hamiltonian and PeroK
Spent Christmas with my mom's dog and my kitty. Ordered myself a copy of Quantum Concepts in Physics by Malcolm Longair and a book about soldiers going through Ranger School.

Likes pinball1970
Mondayman said:
Ordered myself a copy of Quantum Concepts in Physics by Malcolm Longair
I love this book. It gives the gist of what really happened during the development of quantum theory, including original references. It is a nice supplement to, but not replacement for, standard courses.

Likes Mondayman, Astronuc and pinball1970
George Jones said:
I love this book. It gives the gist of what really happened during the development of quantum theory, including original references. It is a nice supplement to, but not replacement for, standard courses.
I always wanted a historical presentation. There is a great looking series by Jagdish Mehra on the history of quantum theory, but sadly all the books (there's like six or seven) cost about $250-350 Cdn each.

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
George Jones said:
Similar in those regards (but more historical, and less technical) is George Gamow's Thirty Years That Shook Physics:

1641426605877.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Hamiltonian, Mondayman and dlgoff

What are some common Christmas presents?

Some common Christmas presents include toys, books, clothing, electronics, and gift cards.

What is the history of giving presents on Christmas?

The tradition of giving presents on Christmas dates back to ancient Rome, where gifts were exchanged during the Saturnalia festival. During the Christianization of the holiday, the gift-giving tradition was incorporated to symbolize the gifts given by the three wise men to baby Jesus.

How does Santa choose which gifts to give?

Santa relies on his list of who has been naughty or nice throughout the year to determine what gifts to give. He also takes into consideration children's wishes and requests.

What are some popular gifts for children on Christmas?

Some popular gifts for children on Christmas include toys, books, video games, dolls, and sports equipment.

Why do people exchange gifts on Christmas?

The tradition of exchanging gifts on Christmas is a way to show love, appreciation, and generosity towards others. It is also a way to spread joy and celebrate the spirit of giving during the holiday season.