Christmas Presents: See What Everyone Got!

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the conversation revolved around what each person received for Christmas. Some highlights include a Christmas dinner with an 81 year-old father, a DVD set of "Robin of Sherwood", a pair of Oakleys, a knife sharpener, and PF contributor status. Others shared their experiences with family, gifts, and their thoughts on the holiday season. Despite some sad moments, the overall tone was one of love and appreciation.
NeoDevin
So, who got what for christmas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the chance to have a nice Christmas dinner with my 81 year-old father. He'll drop in about an hour from now, and we'll have roast pork, baked beans, cole slaw, biscuits, and pumpkin pie. The house smells great! Merry Christmas.

Rumor has it that my youngest daughter is buying me the 1st Season DVD set of "Robin of Sherwood" the PBS series staring Michael Praed. :!) :!) :!)

robinhoodtm1.jpg

It's amazing how perceptive she is, seems like only two days ago that I forced her to sit in front of my computer as I pulled up the amazon.com link to the series and had her memorize it. :redface:

Nice, we had supper with my sister and her boyfriend last night, this morning we opened all our presents. I got a few dvd's, a couple of cds, some candy, and a knife sharpener that I wanted.

Going along with the food theme, my sister and her husband are feeding my wife, my daughter, and me turkey dinner in a few hours.

I would say that the most important thing I got was PF contributor status :biggrin:.

Oh, and a pair of Oakleys. YEAHH

Cash, a nice sweater, a perfume, and fitness gloves. :biggrin:

The DVD-s and CD-s I ordered from amazon didn't arrive yet, though. :rolleyes:

Math Jeans said:
I would say that the most important thing I got was PF contributor status :biggrin:.
WOOT!

Congratulations on going gold! :approve:

My parents sent me a small christmas tree and some ornaments and lights for me to decorate it with. I live alone and they knew I wouldn't have a tree of my own. It was a very thoughtful gift. I just opened it this morning and I'm about to decorate it now.

They also sent a bunch of candy, a book of fiction stories, and a beginners oil painting set. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that last one. They also called me this morning to wish me a Merry Christmas. It makes me sad because I don't feel as though I have been a good son. Christmas is a tough time of the year for me.

Huckleberry said:
My parents sent me a small christmas tree and some ornaments and lights for me to decorate it with. I live alone and they knew I wouldn't have a tree of my own. It was a very thoughtful gift. I just opened it this morning and I'm about to decorate it now.
Oh, how sweet!

They also sent a bunch of candy, a book of fiction stories, and a beginners oil painting set. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that last one. They also called me this morning to wish me a Merry Christmas. It makes me sad because I don't feel as though I have been a good son. Christmas is a tough time of the year for me.
<sniff> Now you're going to make me cry. :frown:

Evo said:
Oh, how sweet!

<sniff> Now you're going to make me cry. :frown:
I love you Evo. Don't be sad. This is a good thing.

And Merry Christmas to you. :smile:

Huckleberry said:
I love you Evo. Don't be sad. This is a good thing.

And Merry Christmas to you. :smile:
Merry Christmas to you too!

You're the only one that has told me that they love me today. Can I stalk you? :blushing: I always hear about how popular Christmas stalkings are, but I've never tried it.

My dad just left, loaded with enough food to keep him going for at least a week. In the last couple of days we had brined and roasted a big turkey and cut that up for him, and my wife made him a big batch of turkey soup yesterday while I was stacking wood. Today, we had (brined again) pork rib roast with a nice crust made from flour and spices. We also had New-England style baked beans made from black beans, fresh-baked flaky biscuits, cole slaw, condiments, and pumpkin pie. Mmm! That pork roast is wonderful, and the gravy that I made from the drippings encouraged me to eat "just one more" biscuit. I'm stuffed.

Evo said:
Merry Christmas to you too!

You're the only one that has told me that they love me today. Can I stalk you? :blushing: I always hear about how popular Christmas stalkings are, but I've never tried it.
You are welcome to stalk me any time you like. It might get old after a few months, but I would be flattered if you decided to stalk me for the holidays.

I got some dvd's and games and clothes, the usual but my fave was I finally got J. B. Hartle's Gravity :biggrin:

Merry physimas!

turbo-1 said:
My dad just left, loaded with enough food to keep him going for at least a week. In the last couple of days we had brined and roasted a big turkey and cut that up for him, and my wife made him a big batch of turkey soup yesterday while I was stacking wood. Today, we had (brined again) pork rib roast with a nice crust made from flour and spices. We also had New-England style baked beans made from black beans, fresh-baked flaky biscuits, cole slaw, condiments, and pumpkin pie. Mmm! That pork roast is wonderful, and the gravy that I made from the drippings encouraged me to eat "just one more" biscuit. I'm stuffed.
That sounds delicious. In comparison, I had a plate of Tyson hot wings and a can of Shasta cola to wash it down with. I'm jealous.

Good thing is, my mom wants me home for Christmas next year. She seems determined that I fly back home next year and even offered to buy the ticket. I don't think saying no is an option. So it looks like next year I'll have a nice home-cooked meal to look forward to.

turbo-1 said:
My dad just left, loaded with enough food to keep him going for at least a week. In the last couple of days we had brined and roasted a big turkey and cut that up for him, and my wife made him a big batch of turkey soup yesterday while I was stacking wood.
That is so nice. I'll bet he is very happy. :smile:

I got a general astronomy book covering just about every topic I could think of, and what I was really excited about - a 12" Zhumell Dobsonian reflector. I had my eye on it a few months back but didn't expect to ever actually get one.

I also got some DVDs including my favorite movie, The Boondock Saints, and a few other things. The telescope is assembled and collimated and just begging to be used.

Merry Christmas.

I have a wok with all the tools and a Mexican recipe book, and some jeans.

We had a really delightful Yule, with one of my young neices playing the role of the "The light bringer" All the lights are turned off, then a knock on the door..and a sweet voice sings...In winters darkest night, glad light is shineing... and she entered in a flowing white gown, with a beautiful candles, and lit the candles on the mantle. Then the Yule log was lit, and mulled wines and glog poured freely.

I got a G.Forman grill from my son, and really nice warm slippers from the animals. Husband gave me a star neckless made of Canadian{private mine} diamonds.

The two following lines explain, in great detail, what I got.

binzing said:
The two following lines explain, in great detail, what I got.
:frown: <stuffs cookies into binzing's computer> :smile:

I got a couple of gift cards to Borders book store, my favorite store. I'm really excited, there is too many books I want to get.

Ha ha, well I got a 2 year subscription to Outside, and I picked out the flyrod set I want so, we'll order that soon. And then I got a TI-83 from my dad, partly for my science fair project.

Evo said:
That is so nice. I'll bet he is very happy. :smile:
Our holidays are always like this. He's 81 (going on 82 in less than 2 weeks) and there's nothing we can give him except ourselves, so we invite him down for a great meal, play games before and after, have a couple of beers, and send him home with a load of food that he can eat with minimal preparation.

A commercial fisherman bought the little house next door to him, as a place to park his wife and sister-in-law when he and his brother head further north to fish for brookies, and he brings Dad some one-clawed lobsters and some scallops from time to time. Dad helps the guy across the road tend his horses, so he and his wife make him biscuits, pies, stews, and other goodies. His wife has MS (a school-mate of mine, only a few years older) and she now only has the use of one hand, but she insists on making pies and biscuits no matter how long it takes her.

We all get by, here. I mentioned a while back that Dad's poker-buddy gave us some fresh-killed Atlantic salmon because the local breeder had to replace the brood-stock and had an a agreement not to sell the breeders and had to give them away or trash them. A couple of years ago, my uncle installed an electric water heater in a house and he told me that the owner had an almost-new positive-draft propane-fueled heater in his basement that he was afraid of using. I bought it for a song, and we borrowed my Dad's poker-buddy's appliance dolly to move it to my place. I returned the dolly and dropped off some pickles and some chili relish as a thank-you, and ended up on the receiving end of at least $100 worth of fresh salmon. The son of another of Dad's friends is a parapalegic and I sent him up a jar of chili relish because he likes hot foods. His father flooded us with sweet corn and squash. There is no real barter system here - just pride and the recognition that if someone has done something nice for you, you've got to get them back. "L" got me pretty good with the fresh salmon, and someday I'll manage to get him back, though he's an excellent mechanic and somehow keeps my dad's old car safe and running. I may have to get creative.

If only it was like that everywhere.

binzing said:
If only it was like that everywhere.
It can be. It starts with the people you know, and it can spread. I wanted some boat-racks for my truck, so I could haul my canoes around, but I didn't want to buy them. I have a neighbor who gives me garlic, and who I give pickles and hot chili relishes and salsas in return. He gave me some very heavy iron pipes and flat iron for flanges, and another neighbor helped me cut the materials and weld up a set of boat racks. I bought that guy a set of metal-cutting blades for his reciprocal saw and gave him and his wife some produce from our garden. We all spend time "getting even" with each other. I spent most of a day helping both of these guys saw up dozens of pine and poplar logs into boards one day last fall, and when they are ready to use next summer, I plan on building a few new wood-boxes for myself and another friend. I don't think the wood will cost me anything. :approve:

I live in a similar "neighborhood" (we live in the middle of nowhere with like 4 other houses). We have chickens, so we give eggs. One household keeps bees, so we get fresh honey. Got a few sport fisherman and hunters (myself included) so there's fish and meat. When we moved in last spring, one house came over like ten minutes after we got there to welcome us. Another couple came and helped us move in. We are all great friends. It is REALLY EASY and nice. So I know what you mean Turbo.

binzing said:
I live in a similar "neighborhood" (we live in the middle of nowhere with like 4 other houses). We have chickens, so we give eggs. One household keeps bees, so we get fresh honey. Got a few sport fisherman and hunters (myself included) so there's fish and meat. When we moved in last spring, one house came over like ten minutes after we got there to welcome us. Another couple came and helped us move in. We are all great friends. It is REALLY EASY and nice. So I know what you mean Turbo.
Back before the time that we expected "social services" and we all took care of each other, we all lived this way. After a time, it was understood that the really creepy "Mr.X" and the wimpy "Mr.Y" and their wives and kids would rally to help you even if you weren't best friends. That's what brings a community together.

If you REALLY didn't like a neighbor, and they did something great for you, it was mandatory for you to out-do them if you could. It started out as a matter of pride in some instances, but it was a real community-builder.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it used to be that way. Its coming back around though, even in New Mexico, which is normally pretty backwards.

I got some potassium chlorate and a camcorder :smile:

What are you doing with chlorate? Doesn't flash use chlorate...no that's perchlorate. Hmmm, don't kill yourself whatever your doing! I guess I shouldn't be talking, I cooked up a nice big potassium nitrate smokebomb...after having a whole load ignite once, in my SHED! LOL

Last edited:
wolram said:
I have a wok with all the tools and a Mexican recipe book, and some jeans.

Sounds like its time for some stir fried tacos!

I got a lot of new ideas.

Evo said:
Rumor has it that my youngest daughter is buying me the 1st Season DVD set of "Robin of Sherwood" the PBS series staring Michael Praed. :!) :!) :!)

robinhoodtm1.jpg

It's amazing how perceptive she is, seems like only two days ago that I forced her to sit in front of my computer as I pulled up the amazon.com link to the series and had her memorize it. :redface:

She mis-sent it, I've received it already. :smile: