Christmas season temporary jobs

In summary, David Sedaris's Santaland Diaries captures the experience of being a temporary employee during the Christmas season.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Tis almost the season when all of the folks hired temporarily for the Christmas season get tossed out on the streets, to wander aimlessly about until they find the unemployment line.

I wonder what it must be like to be a Christmas season temporary employee. Finally, someone has captured the experience in its full glory.

David Sedaris's Santaland Diaries

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/47/christmas-and-commerce?act=1

Physics news on Phys.org
I listened to it earlier today, and then I heard on the regional NPR station this evening.

I wonder what Christmas tradition calls for threatening or otherwise abusing one's children.

I was fortunate to grow up in little towns where we didn't have malls with visits to Santa at Christmas time. I never grew up expecting Santa, or rather Father Christmas from where I come, to bring gifts. Perhaps it was because my dad was a minister with a rather meager income, so I never learned to expect lavish gifts.

Astronuc said:
I listened to it earlier today, and then I heard on the regional NPR station this evening.

I wonder what Christmas tradition calls for threatening or otherwise abusing one's children.

I was fortunate to grow up in little towns where we didn't have malls with visits to Santa at Christmas time. I never grew up expecting Santa, or rather Father Christmas from where I come, to bring gifts. Perhaps it was because my dad was a minister with a rather meager income, so I never learned to expect lavish gifts.
When I was a kid, we all knew that Bun was the "Santa" who rode the back of the fire truck in the parade and tossed the candy. We still wanted the candy and the distraction. We never got lavish gifts, anyhow, no matter how we might have dreamed of them after seeing the Sears catalog. Ain't happenin'

1. What types of temporary jobs are available during the Christmas season?

During the Christmas season, there are typically a wide variety of temporary jobs available. Some common options include working as a retail associate, package handler, delivery driver, or customer service representative. Other popular positions may include event staff, gift wrapping, or working at a Christmas tree farm or holiday market.

2. How do I find a Christmas season temporary job?

There are several ways to find a Christmas season temporary job. Many companies will advertise open positions on their website or through online job search engines. You can also visit local stores and inquire about job opportunities in person. Additionally, temporary staffing agencies often have a high demand for holiday workers and can help match you with a job that fits your skills and availability.

3. What is the typical length of a Christmas season temporary job?

The length of a Christmas season temporary job can vary depending on the company and the position. Some jobs may only last a few weeks, while others may extend through the entire holiday season. It's important to clarify the expected duration of the job during the interview process to ensure it fits your availability and schedule.

4. What skills or experience do I need for a Christmas season temporary job?

The required skills and experience for a Christmas season temporary job can vary depending on the position. Some jobs may require previous retail or customer service experience, while others may only require a positive attitude and willingness to learn. Employers may also look for individuals who are organized, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced environment.

5. Is there potential for a Christmas season temporary job to turn into a permanent position?

While there is no guarantee, there is potential for a Christmas season temporary job to turn into a permanent position. If you excel in your temporary role and the company has a need for additional employees, they may offer you a permanent position. It's important to demonstrate a strong work ethic, reliability, and positive attitude to increase your chances of being considered for a permanent role.