Christoffel identity

• Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
etotheipi
Homework Statement:
We need to show that ##\Gamma_{cb}^e = \frac{1}{2}g^{ea}(\partial_c g_{ab} + \partial_b g_{ac} - \partial_a g_{cb})##
Relevant Equations:
N/A
We use ##g_{\alpha \beta} = \vec{e}_{\alpha} \cdot \vec{e}_{\beta}## to show that$$\partial_c g_{ab} = \partial_c (\vec{e}_a \cdot \vec{e}_b) = \vec{e}_a \cdot \partial_c \vec{e}_b + \vec{e}_b \cdot \partial_c \vec{e}_a$$then because ##\partial_{\alpha} \vec{e}_{\beta} := \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\gamma} \vec{e}_{\gamma}##, we get$$\begin{align*}\partial_c g_{ab} = \vec{e}_a \cdot \Gamma_{cb}^{d} \vec{e}_{d} + \vec{e}_b \cdot \Gamma_{ca}^{d} \vec{e}_{d}

&= \Gamma_{cb}^{d} \vec{e}_a \cdot \vec{e}_d + \Gamma_{ca}^{d} \vec{e}_b \cdot \vec{e}_d \\

&= \Gamma_{cb}^{d} g_{ad} + \Gamma_{ca}^{d} g_{bd}

\end{align*}$$Now I am uncertain as to how to proceed. I wonder if someone can give me a hint? I try contracting both sides with ##g^{ea}## but I can't see how that helps. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2020 Award
I'm not certain what you know about Christoffel symbols at this point. If you are allowed to use that ##\Gamma^a_{bc}=\Gamma^a_{cb}## then you can permute the indices in your last expression and use that symmetry to get three equations in three terms like ##\Gamma^\cdot_{\cdot\cdot}g_{\cdot\cdot}##. That ought to get you where you're going.

etotheipi
Thanks! I'll write out my solution then, using this fact about symmetry in the downstairs indices of the Christoffel symbols,$$\begin{align*}
\partial_c g_{ab} &= \Gamma_{bc}^d g_{ad} + \Gamma_{ca}^d g_{bd} \\
\partial_b g_{ca} &= \Gamma_{ab}^d g_{cd} + \Gamma_{bc}^d g_{ad} \\
\partial_a g_{bc} &= \Gamma_{ca}^d g_{bd} + \Gamma_{ab}^d g_{cd}
\end{align*}$$It follows that$$\partial_c g_{ab} + \partial_b g_{ca} - \partial_a g_{bc} = 2\Gamma_{bc}^d g_{ad}$$Now I halve both sides, and contract both sides with ##g^{ea}##, making use of the identity ##g^{\alpha \beta}g_{\beta \gamma} = \delta^{\alpha}_{\gamma}##,$$\frac{1}{2} g^{ea} \left(\partial_c g_{ab} + \partial_b g_{ca} - \partial_a g_{bc} \right) = \Gamma_{bc}^d g^{ea} g_{ad} = \Gamma^e_{bc}$$Nice! Muchas gracias señor Ibix!

Likes PhDeezNutz and Ibix