Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christoffel Symbol blues

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    Is there any book out there or website or something that has a list of christoffel symbols, something analogous to a table of integrals
    The amount of times I've had to calculate christoffel symbols by hand is unreal and let me tell you, chugging through tensors on a moving bus is hard enough without all that extra work..

can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some math program like mapple?

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3
    I know what you mean, calculating the Christoffel symbols by hand can be an absolute nightmare. But given all the different conventions and notations, a list would be confusing to the point being useless for most people.

However, if you are trying to do it for it for a commonly used metrics like the Schwarzschild (which, I would like to add at this point, is pronounced like "shwarz-shild" and not "swarz-child") or FLRW metric, you might be able to find a book that lists all the non zero ones. I remember a cosmology book(though not which one) that did just that for the FLRW metric.

Alternatively, if you know about differential forms it is considerably quicker to calculate the connection 2-forms.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4
  6. Jan 5, 2012 #5
    oh wow, I completely forgot that I posted this

I know about differential forms but not in connection with anything that'd help me find anything out..
    Could you provide more information or the name of a book that'd help me?

I managed to get something to do the job in Mathematica for any arbitrary co-ordinates

If anyone is interested in the .nb I made that does this I'll upload it somewhere for you to use as you please

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?