How do I find Christoffel symbols for cylindrical coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Christoffel symbols for cylindrical coordinates. The metric is determined to be dR^2+(R^2)(dtheta^2)+dZ^2 and the inverse metric is written as G_ab=1 0 0 0 R^-2 0 0 0 1. The correct notation is g_ab for the metric and g^ab for the inverse metric. The formula for calculating the Christoffel symbols is given and the conversation concludes with clarifying the notation and the use of the inverse metric in the calculations.
n1mrod
Hey Guys,

I'm new here on the forum, and I hope someone can help me out.
I'm solving one of my GR homework exercises and I'm asked to find the christoffel symbols corresponding to cylindrical coordinates.
I'll post my work and please correct if you see mistakes.
I found the metric to be dR^2 + (R^2)(dtheta^2) + dZ^2
therefore
Gab=
1 0 0
0 R^-2 0
0 0 1

Can somebody kind of explain to me how to proceed with these calculations?

Thanks a lot!
Fred.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the element in G is R^2, not R^-2. Once you find the metric, you can calculate the Christoffel symbol by using the direct formula (which involves derivatives of Gab). Or you can use the change of coordinate formula for the Christoffel symbol.

timur said:
I think the element in G is R^2, not R^-2. Once you find the metric, you can calculate the Christoffel symbol by using the direct formula (which involves derivatives of Gab). Or you can use the change of coordinate formula for the Christoffel symbol.

Hello!
It absolutely is, I just saw I forgot to write, I wrote Gab as being the inverse metric already, so there I believe it is R^-2, shouldn't it?

Yes.

I tried to calculate the Christoffel 2 3,3 and I found it to be -2R / e^(-2R)
Where's the e come from here?

Incidentally, by G_ab, in your post, you mean g_ab; the metric tensor. You should use the correct notation from the beginning of your studies, as you will find another important tensor denoted G_ab later on!

Last edited:
Also note the difference between g_ab and g^ab - one is the metric tensor (which?) and the other one is its inverse. Difference is a power of (-1) (if it's diagonal) - not entirely unimportant. If you use the right one but write down the wrong one, people will get confused. If you use the wrong one and write that down correctly... better :smile:

cristo said:
Where's the e come from here?

Incidentally, by G_ab, in your post, you mean g_ab; the (inverse) metric tensor. You should use the correct notation from the beginning of your studies, as you will find another important tensor denoted G_ab later on!

Hey, the e was wrong, I mispelled when I typed in, sorry.

Also, I used G_ab as the inverse. I'm sorry I'm just not used how to type these things here on the forum, but I used G_ab as the inverse, that's why its R^-2 .

CompuChip said:
Also note the difference between g_ab and g^ab - one is the metric tensor (which?) and the other one is its inverse. Difference is a power of (-1) (if it's diagonal) - not entirely unimportant. If you use the right one but write down the wrong one, people will get confused. If you use the wrong one and write that down correctly... better :smile:

thanks! I know that I did a mistake there, the one I wrote is the inverse already, I'll fix my notations for next time. But still, I don't know how to proceed to calculate the symbols once I have the inverse metric.

n1mrod said:
Hey, the e was wrong, I mispelled when I typed in, sorry.
Ahh, ok.
Also, I used G_ab as the inverse. I'm sorry I'm just not used how to type these things here on the forum, but I used G_ab as the inverse, that's why its R^-2 .
Yea, the point of my post wasn't to be picky and say "you should use an _" but, more importantly, that the metric tensor is denoted by a small g. When most people look at G_ab they immediately think of the Einstein tensor. Anyway, it may have been a little bit of a pedantic point!

cristo said:
Ahh, ok.

Yea, the point of my post wasn't to be picky and say "you should use an _" but, more importantly, that the metric tensor is denoted by a small g. When most people look at G_ab they immediately think of the Einstein tensor. Anyway, it may have been a little bit of a pedantic point!

ahhh okay, so my mistake was even bigger heheh. Hey, please I asked people to correct me, you weren't being picky, you were correcting me :D
I'm just starting with General Relativity and I really want to learn, but as you know it's not very easy to get used to the nomenclature since it's very different from "regular" Physics.
So I believe what I wrote is g_ab right? The inverse of the metric?

According to my books,

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] is the metric.
[tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex] is the inverse metric.

Christoffels are
[tex]\Gamma^{m}_{ab} = \frac{1}{2}g^{mk}(g_{ak,b}+g_{bk,a}-g_{ab,k})[/tex]

with summation over k, and the ,n means differentiated wrt [tex]x^n[/tex]

If you click on the text above, you'll get a window with the Tex source.

Last edited:
I have no idea what I was doing this morning! Of course, the metric tensor is denoted g_ab, and g^ab is the inverse metric tensor. Thus, what the OP has written in the opening post should g^ab=(..and then the matrix he writes out...)

Apologies for that, and thanks, Mentz for spotting it!

Mentz114 said:
According to my books,

[tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] is the metric.
[tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex] is the inverse metric.

Christoffels are
[tex]\Gamma^{m}_{ab} = \frac{1}{2}g^{mk}(g_{ak,b}+g_{bk,a}-g_{ab,k})[/tex]

with summation over k, and the ,n means differentiated wrt [tex]x^n[/tex]

If you click on the text above, you'll get a window with the Tex source.

cristo said:
I have no idea what I was doing this morning! Of course, the metric tensor is denoted g_ab, and g^ab is the inverse metric tensor. Thus, what the OP has written in the opening post should g^ab=(..and then the matrix he writes out...)

Apologies for that, and thanks, Mentz for spotting it!

Okay now I understand it, I went to my professor this morning on my class, and also with the help you guys gave I was able to figure out.. now I can move forward =P
thanks a lot for the help!

1. What are Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical objects that are used to describe the curvature of a space. They are used in the field of differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces, such as those found in general relativity.

2. How are Christoffel symbols calculated?

Christoffel symbols are calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a curved space. The symbols are derived from the curvature of the space, which is determined by the metric tensor.

3. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in physics?

Christoffel symbols are important in physics because they are used to describe the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. They allow us to understand the effects of gravity on objects in a curved space, such as planets orbiting around a star.

4. How are Christoffel symbols related to the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that is used to describe the curvature of a space. Christoffel symbols are components of the Riemann tensor, and are used to calculate its values. In other words, Christoffel symbols are the building blocks of the Riemann tensor.

5. What are some real-world applications of Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in general relativity to understand the behavior of objects in a curved space, in computer graphics to create realistic animations, and in robotics to simulate movement in a 3D environment.