Christoffel Symbols problem in GR

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in General Relativity where the goal is to find the Christoffel symbols corresponding to a given metric. The metric is given as ds^2 = (1+gx)^2 dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2 and the non-vanishing Christoffel symbols are given by \Gamma^1 _0 _0 = g(1+gx) and \Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \Gamma^0 _0 _1 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}. The conversation includes a discussion on the methods used to solve for the Christoffel symbols, including the use of a well-known formula
Astrofiend

Homework Statement

This is a problem in General Relativity, where I am trying to find the Christoffel symbols that correspond to a given metric. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OK. I have been given the metric

[tex]

ds^2 = (1+gx)^2 dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2

[/tex]

and have been told to show that the non-vanishing Christoffel symbols are given by

[tex]

\Gamma^1 _0 _0 = g(1+gx)

[/tex]

and

[tex]

\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \Gamma^0 _0 _1 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}

[/tex]

I can get the first out OK but I'm not getting how to get the second.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I wrote the Lagrangian out for the metric:

[tex]

L\left(\frac{dx^\alpha}{d\sigma},x^\alpha\right) = - (1+gx)^2\frac{dt}{d\sigma}^2 +\frac{dx}{d\sigma}^2+\frac{dy}{d\sigma}^2+\frac{dz}{d\sigma}^2

[/tex]

which, after a little substitution work getting taus instead of sigmas, basically gives us the following equation:

[tex]

\frac{d^2x}{d\tau^2} = -\frac{1}{2} . 2(1+gx).g \frac{dt}{d\tau}^2

[/tex]

...and comparing this to the definition of a C-symbol

[tex]
\frac{d^2 x^\alpha}{d\tau^2} = -\Gamma ^\alpha _\beta _\gamma \frac{dx^\beta} {d\tau} \frac{dx^\gamma}{d\tau}
[/tex]

...it is pretty easy to see that

[tex]

\Gamma^1 _0 _0 = g(1+gx)

[/tex]

However, I can't understand how to get the [tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}[/tex] one out.

[tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0[/tex] would mean that we were looking for the C-symbols in equations of the form...

[tex]
\frac{d^2 x^0}{d\tau^2} = -\Gamma^0 _1_0 \frac{dx^1} {d\tau} \frac{dx^0}{d\tau}
[/tex]

...yes?

I don't see any way of comparing that to the Lagrangian to find the C-symbol [tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \Gamma^0 _0 _1 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}[/tex]

Any help? Have I made a complete meal out of this?! Thanks for your time...

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a well-known formula that allows you to calculate them directly:
[tex]\Gamma^i {}_{k\ell}=\frac{1}{2}g^{im} \left(\frac{\partial g_{mk}}{\partial x^\ell} + \frac{\partial g_{m\ell}}{\partial x^k} - \frac{\partial g_{k\ell}}{\partial x^m} \right)[/tex]
where [itex]g_{ij}[/itex] can simply be read off and [itex]g^{ij}[/itex] are the coefficients of the inverse metric.

For the proof, you can refer to most GR or differential geometry texts.
Note that when you write it as
[tex]\Gamma^{\rho}_{\mu\nu} = \frac12 g^{\rho\sigma}\left( \partial_\nu g_{\sigma\mu} + \partial_\mu g_{\nu\sigma} - \partial_\sigma g_{\mu\nu} \right)[/tex]
it's relatively easy to remember: there is only one upper index which goes in the inverse metric with a dummy variable, and then you cyclically permute the indices where the "canonical" order [itex]\sigma\mu\nu[/itex] has an opposite sign.

Thanks very much for your help!

Much appreciated.

Astrofiend said:
I don't see any way of comparing that to the Lagrangian to find the C-symbol [tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \Gamma^0 _0 _1 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}[/tex]

For simple metrics like this, I quite like the Lagrangian method. You have used

[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = \frac{d}{d \tau} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \frac{d x}{d \tau}}.
[/tex]

Now use

[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial t} = \frac{d}{d \tau} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \frac{d t}{d \tau}},
[/tex]

and differentiate with respect to [itex]\tau[/itex] the equation that you get.

Oops, I didn't mean to say
George Jones said:
and differentiate with respect to [itex]\tau[/itex] the equation that you get.

Thanks a lot George - I appreciate the reply! I've now pushed through with both methods and they both work... funnily enough!

Why is it that when I try to solve it using the Lagrangian, my answer is off by a factor of 2 for the c-symbol [tex]\Gamma^0_{10}[/tex]
Lagrange's equation for [tex]x^0[/tex] time component is
[tex]-\frac{d}{d\sigma}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\frac{\partial x^0}{\partial\sigma})})+\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^0}=0[/tex]
where [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^0}=0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\frac{\partial x^0}{\partial\sigma})}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{L}(-2(1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\sigma}) =- \frac{1}{L}(1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\sigma}[/tex] as the Lagrangian [tex]L=\frac{d\tau}{d\sigma}[/tex], we can sub this in and also divide by L to convert the sigma's to tau's.
=>[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}(\frac{d\sigma}{d\tau}(1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\sigma})=0[/tex]
=>[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}((1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\tau})=0[/tex]
=>[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}((1+gx^1)^2)\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}+(1+gx^1)^2\frac{d}{d\tau}(\frac{dx^0}{d\tau})=0[/tex]
=>[tex]\frac{d^2x^0}{d\tau^2}=-\frac{2g}{1+gx^1}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}[/tex]
so this shows [tex]\Gamma^0_{10}=\frac{2g}{1+gx^1}[/tex]
So why do I have an extra factor of 2? T_T

Qyzren said:
Why is it that when I try to solve it using the Lagrangian, my answer is off by a factor of 2 for the c-symbol [tex]\Gamma^0_{10}[/tex]

Because the EL equation is
[tex]0=\frac{d^2x^0}{d\tau^2}+\Gamma^0_{01}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}+\Gamma^0_{10}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}=\frac{d^2x^0}{d\tau^2}+2\Gamma^0_{01}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}[/tex]

where the last equality is true since [tex]\Gamma^a_{bc}=\Gamma^a_{cb}[/tex]

Thank you very much Cristo

What are Christoffel Symbols in General Relativity?

Christoffel symbols are a set of mathematical objects used in the study of General Relativity. They represent the connection between the geometry of spacetime and the laws of gravity, and are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime.

What is the significance of Christoffel Symbols in General Relativity?

The significance of Christoffel symbols lies in their ability to describe the curvature of spacetime in General Relativity. They play a crucial role in Einstein's field equations, which describe how matter and energy interact with the curvature of spacetime to create gravity.

How do Christoffel Symbols relate to the problem of curvature in GR?

Christoffel symbols are directly related to the problem of curvature in General Relativity. They are used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is a key concept in GR. Without understanding the curvature of spacetime, it is impossible to fully comprehend the theory of General Relativity.

What is the Christoffel Symbols problem in General Relativity?

The Christoffel Symbols problem in General Relativity refers to the difficulty in calculating and interpreting the symbols in complex spacetimes. This is due to the fact that the calculation of Christoffel symbols involves multiple derivatives of the metric tensor, which can be quite complex and challenging to handle.

How is the Christoffel Symbols problem solved in General Relativity?

The Christoffel Symbols problem is solved in General Relativity through the use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as tensor calculus and differential geometry. These tools allow scientists to manipulate and solve complex equations involving Christoffel symbols, and ultimately gain a better understanding of the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime.