1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christoffel Symbols problem in GR

1. Aug 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem in General Relativity, where I am trying to find the Christoffel symbols that correspond to a given metric. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OK. I have been given the metric

[tex]

ds^2 = (1+gx)^2 dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2

[/tex]

and have been told to show that the non-vanishing Christoffel symbols are given by

[tex]

\Gamma^1 _0 _0 = g(1+gx)

[/tex]

and

[tex]

\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \Gamma^0 _0 _1 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}

[/tex]

I can get the first out OK but I'm not getting how to get the second.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I wrote the Lagrangian out for the metric:

[tex]

L\left(\frac{dx^\alpha}{d\sigma},x^\alpha\right) = - (1+gx)^2\frac{dt}{d\sigma}^2 +\frac{dx}{d\sigma}^2+\frac{dy}{d\sigma}^2+\frac{dz}{d\sigma}^2

[/tex]

which, after a little substitution work getting taus instead of sigmas, basically gives us the following equation:

[tex]

\frac{d^2x}{d\tau^2} = -\frac{1}{2} . 2(1+gx).g \frac{dt}{d\tau}^2

[/tex]

...and comparing this to the definition of a C-symbol

[tex]
    \frac{d^2 x^\alpha}{d\tau^2} = -\Gamma ^\alpha _\beta _\gamma \frac{dx^\beta} {d\tau} \frac{dx^\gamma}{d\tau}
    [/tex]

...it is pretty easy to see that

[tex]

\Gamma^1 _0 _0 = g(1+gx)

[/tex]

However, I can't understand how to get the [tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}[/tex] one out.

[tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0[/tex] would mean that we were looking for the C-symbols in equations of the form...

[tex]
    \frac{d^2 x^0}{d\tau^2} = -\Gamma^0 _1_0 \frac{dx^1} {d\tau} \frac{dx^0}{d\tau}
    [/tex]

...yes?

I don't see any way of comparing that to the Lagrangian to find the C-symbol [tex]\Gamma^0 _1 _0 = \Gamma^0 _0 _1 = \frac{g}{(1+gx)}[/tex]

Any help? Have I made a complete meal out of this?! Thanks for your time...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a well-known formula that allows you to calculate them directly:
    [tex]\Gamma^i {}_{k\ell}=\frac{1}{2}g^{im} \left(\frac{\partial g_{mk}}{\partial x^\ell} + \frac{\partial g_{m\ell}}{\partial x^k} - \frac{\partial g_{k\ell}}{\partial x^m} \right)[/tex]
    where [itex]g_{ij}[/itex] can simply be read off and [itex]g^{ij}[/itex] are the coefficients of the inverse metric.

For the proof, you can refer to most GR or differential geometry texts.
    Note that when you write it as
    [tex]\Gamma^{\rho}_{\mu\nu} = \frac12 g^{\rho\sigma}\left( \partial_\nu g_{\sigma\mu} + \partial_\mu g_{\nu\sigma} - \partial_\sigma g_{\mu\nu} \right)[/tex]
    it's relatively easy to remember: there is only one upper index which goes in the inverse metric with a dummy variable, and then you cyclically permute the indices where the "canonical" order [itex]\sigma\mu\nu[/itex] has an opposite sign.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks very much for your help!

Much appreciated.

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For simple metrics like this, I quite like the Lagrangian method. You have used

[tex]
    \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = \frac{d}{d \tau} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \frac{d x}{d \tau}}.
    [/tex]

Now use

[tex]
    \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} = \frac{d}{d \tau} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \frac{d t}{d \tau}},
    [/tex]

and differentiate with respect to [itex]\tau[/itex] the equation that you get.

6. Aug 20, 2009 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, I didn't mean to say

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6
    Thanks a lot George - I appreciate the reply! I've now pushed through with both methods and they both work... funnily enough!

8. Aug 21, 2009 #7
    Why is it that when I try to solve it using the Lagrangian, my answer is off by a factor of 2 for the c-symbol [tex]\Gamma^0_{10}[/tex]
    Lagrange's equation for [tex]x^0[/tex] time component is
    [tex]-\frac{d}{d\sigma}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\frac{\partial x^0}{\partial\sigma})})+\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^0}=0[/tex]
    where [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^0}=0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\frac{\partial x^0}{\partial\sigma})}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{L}(-2(1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\sigma}) =- \frac{1}{L}(1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\sigma}[/tex] as the Lagrangian [tex]L=\frac{d\tau}{d\sigma}[/tex], we can sub this in and also divide by L to convert the sigma's to tau's.
    =>[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}(\frac{d\sigma}{d\tau}(1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\sigma})=0[/tex]
    =>[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}((1+gx^1)^2\frac{dx^0}{d\tau})=0[/tex]
    =>[tex]\frac{d}{d\tau}((1+gx^1)^2)\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}+(1+gx^1)^2\frac{d}{d\tau}(\frac{dx^0}{d\tau})=0[/tex]
    =>[tex]\frac{d^2x^0}{d\tau^2}=-\frac{2g}{1+gx^1}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}[/tex]
    so this shows [tex]\Gamma^0_{10}=\frac{2g}{1+gx^1}[/tex]
    So why do I have an extra factor of 2? T_T

9. Aug 21, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because the EL equation is
    [tex]0=\frac{d^2x^0}{d\tau^2}+\Gamma^0_{01}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}+\Gamma^0_{10}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}=\frac{d^2x^0}{d\tau^2}+2\Gamma^0_{01}\frac{dx^1}{d\tau}\frac{dx^0}{d\tau}[/tex]

where the last equality is true since [tex]\Gamma^a_{bc}=\Gamma^a_{cb}[/tex]

10. Aug 21, 2009 #9
    Thank you very much Cristo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook