Christoffel Symbols: Solving GR Homework | Fred

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Christoffel symbols for cylindrical coordinates. The metric is provided and there is a question about how to proceed with calculations. The participant is also seeking confirmation that they have all the necessary information to complete the task.
n1mrod
Hey Guys,

I'm new here on the forum, and I hope someone can help me out.
I'm solving one of my GR homework exercises and I'm asked to find the christoffel symbols corresponding to cylindrical coordinates.
I'll post my work and please correct if you see mistakes.
I found the metric to be dR^2 + (R^2)(dtheta^2) + dZ^2
therefore
Gab=
1 0 0
0 R^-2 0
0 0 1

Can somebody kind of explain to me how to proceed with these calculations?

Thanks a lot!
Fred.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to explain how you got that strange result before anyone can help. Where did the e come from?

Dick said:
You'll have to explain how you got that strange result before anyone can help. Where did the e come from?

Hey I'm sorry, I was writing the topic and the second part I copied from my other homework assignment, sorry I'm going to fix that.

Until the "matrix" Gab is what I did, but I'm not very sure how to calculate the christoffel from there, can you help me?

You calculate the christoffel by evaluating a summation of partial derivatives of the metric times the inverse metric. Again, you are not giving us much to go on.

Okay, but I put the metric I found. As you said, to calculate the symbols it's only necessary the Metric and the inverse metric, the inverse metric is calculated straight from the metric right? So I believe we have everything that is needed, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks.

I think so. If you are going wrong, you haven't done so yet.

1. What are Christoffel symbols and how are they used in General Relativity?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical objects used in the study of General Relativity (GR). They represent the connection coefficients between different points in a curved spacetime. In GR, these symbols are used to calculate the covariant derivative of a tensor, which is necessary for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in a gravitational field.

2. How do you calculate Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of a given spacetime. The formula for finding the Christoffel symbols involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor, and the resulting equations can be quite complex. However, with the help of computer programs and mathematical software, these calculations can be done efficiently.

3. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in General Relativity?

In General Relativity, Christoffel symbols play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in a gravitational field. They are used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which determines how objects move and interact with each other in the presence of gravity. Without Christoffel symbols, it would be nearly impossible to make accurate predictions about the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. Can Christoffel symbols be used in other branches of physics?

Yes, Christoffel symbols are not exclusive to General Relativity and can be used in other areas of physics as well. They are commonly used in differential geometry, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in multi-dimensional spaces. They are also used in other fields such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any practical applications of Christoffel symbols?

Yes, Christoffel symbols have several practical applications in addition to their use in General Relativity. They are used in navigation systems to calculate the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface, such as the Earth's surface. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to model the movement of objects in a 3D space. Additionally, they have applications in engineering, such as in the design of structures and machines that operate in curved spaces.