Calculating Christoffel Symbols from Metric Tensor

In summary: Basically, you can have any number of indices raised or lowered, but they all have to be in the same form (i.e. symmetric). Thanks for clarifying!
Qyzren
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoffel_symbols#Definition

start with [tex]0=\frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^l}-g_{mk}\Gamma^m_{il}-g_{im}\Gamma^m_{kl}[/tex]

in wiki it said "By permuting the indices, and resumming, one can solve explicitly for the Christoffel symbols as a function of the metric tensor:"
[tex]\Gamma^i_{kl}=\frac{1}{2}g^{im}(\frac{\partial g_{mk}}{\partial x^l}+\frac{\partial g_{ml}}{\partial x^k}-\frac{\partial g_{kl}}{\partial x^m})[/tex]

but i don't see how they did this step. Can someone please show me?
Thanks you

Physics news on Phys.org
well [itex]g_{mk} \Gamma^m_{il}=\Gamma_{kil}[/itex] so you get:

[itex]0=\frac{\partial{g_ik}}{\partial{x^l}}-\Gamma_{kil}-\Gamma_{ikl}[/itex]

i think that wwhat they mean by permuting the indices is just that you can relabel them to create two other equations:
[itex]0=\frac{\partial{g_lk}}{\partial{x^i}}-\Gamma_{kli}-\Gamma_{kil}[/itex]
and
[itex]0=\frac{\partial{g_il}}{\partial{x^k}}-\Gamma_{lki}-\Gamma_{kli}[/itex]

now you know the Christoffel symbol [itex]\Gamma^a_{bc}[/itex] is symmetric in its' lower indices. If you add the first two of those three equations and subtract the last one you get:

[itex]2 \Gamma_{kil}=\frac{\partial{g_ik}}{\partial{x^l}}+\frac{\partial{g_lk}}{\partial{x^i}}-\frac{\partial{g_il}}{\partial{x^k}}[/itex]

and now just bring the 2 across and pull a [itex]g^{im}[/itex] out the front.

this isn't quite right as I've rushed it through... the ideas are right though so try doing it yourself with all the working and seeing where i went wrong.

I do not understand this
"well [tex]g_{mk} \Gamma^m_{il}=\Gamma_{kil}[/tex]"
specifically, how you can have a christoffel symbol with 3 lower indices, how does that work?

should the 2nd equation not be
[tex] 0=\frac{\partial{g_il}}{\partial{x^k}}-\Gamma_{lik}-\Gamma_{ilk} [/tex]
instead of
[tex] 0=\frac{\partial{g_il}}{\partial{x^k}}-\Gamma_{lki}-\Gamma_{kli} [/tex]

and finally how do you pull out a [tex]g^{im} [/tex] factor at the end?

do you know how the metric [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] operates?

It acts as follows:

[itex]g^{\mu \nu} X_{\nu} = X^{\mu}[/itex] for a vector [itex]X_{\mu}[/itex]
and
[itex]g_{\mu \nu} X^{\nu}=X_{\mu}[/itex] for a [itex]X^{\mu} \in \Lambda^1[/itex] i.e. in the space of one forms.

and so we can manipulate the Christoffel symbol to have as many up and down indices as we like simply by acting on it with a series of metrics.

i pulled out the [itex]g^{im}[/itex] at the end simply so it would be in the same form as the one you quoted in your first post. remember however that when you pull out that factor it will alter the up and down indices accordingly.

hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,
I just did not know it was possible to raise or lower indices for the christoffel symbol.

I've figured it out now though

1. What are Christoffel symbols and why are they important in calculating the metric tensor?

Christoffel symbols are a set of coefficients that describe the curvature of a space in terms of its metric tensor. They are important in calculating the metric tensor because they help us understand the geometric properties of a space, such as its curvature and geodesic paths.

2. How do you calculate Christoffel symbols from a given metric tensor?

To calculate Christoffel symbols from a given metric tensor, you first need to find the inverse of the metric tensor. Then, you can use the components of the inverse metric tensor to calculate the Christoffel symbols using a specific formula, which involves taking partial derivatives and summing them together.

3. Can Christoffel symbols be used for any type of metric tensor?

Yes, Christoffel symbols can be used for any type of metric tensor, including those that describe Euclidean, spherical, or hyperbolic spaces. However, the specific formula for calculating the Christoffel symbols may vary depending on the type of space being described.

4. What is the significance of the Christoffel symbols in general relativity?

In general relativity, Christoffel symbols play a crucial role in describing the curvature of spacetime and the paths of particles in this curved space. They are used in the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

5. Are there any other applications of Christoffel symbols besides in general relativity?

Yes, Christoffel symbols have applications in other fields such as differential geometry, where they are used to study the properties of manifolds. They are also used in physics and engineering to describe the paths of objects in curved spaces and to calculate the trajectories of particles in gravitational fields.