Christoffel symbols

1. I am learning about christoffel symbols and there is a pretty standard representation of christoffel symbols as a linear combination of products of the metric tensor and the metric tensors derivative. However when this is derived it is always done in a hoakey manner. Something along the lines of .... do these permutations add this subtract that and walllaaa. I am trying to make a more physically intuitive proof based off the covariant derivative of the metric tensor being equal to zero. Has anyone seen this proof somewhere i havent got it to work out and i am looking go help.

2. jcsd
  3. nicksauce

nicksauce 1,275
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check out chapter 3 of Wald's GR book.

4. Fredrik

Fredrik 10,298
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the best place to read about connections is "Riemannian manifolds: an introduction to curvature", by John Lee. But I don't remember how he did this particular thing.

5. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,504
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The ordinary derivative of a tensor is NOT a tensor. In order to make it one, the "covariant derivative", you have to subtract off the Christoffel symbols- or, to put it another way, the Chrisoffel symbols are the covariant derivative minus the ordinary derivative.

6. dx

dx 2,010
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you can find it in MTW exercise 8.15. It has an outline solution too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?