Determining Christoffel Symbols: Subscripts Explained

In summary, the Christoffel Symbols are given by the expression shown in the image, where each index must take on values 0, 1, 2, or 3 (or 1, 2, 3, 4). This involves summing over all repeated indices using the Einstein summation convention. The metric, g, is a coefficient for differentials such as dx1dx2 and g12 is the coefficient for dx1dx2. In differential geometry, this expression is used to calculate the curvature of a space.
atomqwerty
My question is just,

How can I determinate the Christoffel Symbols?

I know that they're given by

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/17f2df132717bfc32dc2ce3.png/"

but, what does this mean? The subscripts I mean.

thank you very much! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi atomqwerty! :smile:
atomqwerty said:
what does this mean? The subscripts I mean.

each index has to take all the values 0 1 2 3 (or 1 2 3 4) :wink:

(and then sum over all repeated indices … the Einstein summation convention)

and yes, it does take a long time :rolleyes: … but it helps that most of the derivatives are zero tongue2)

tiny-tim said:
hi atomqwerty! :smile:

each index has to take all the values 0 1 2 3 (or 1 2 3 4) :wink:

I see, but, what is for example g12 for a given g?

thanks!

It is [tex]\frac{g_{mk}}{x_{l}}= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{l}} \frac{\partial g_{m}}{\partial x_{k}}[/tex]?

thanks

atomqwerty said:
I see, but, what is for example g12 for a given g?

thanks!

g is the metric …

g12 is the coefficient of dx1dx2 :wink:

(and g11 is the coefficient of dx12 etc)

tiny-tim said:
g is the metric …

g12 is the coefficient of dx1dx2 :wink:

(and g11 is the coefficient of dx12 etc)

With [tex]dx_{1}dx_{2}[/tex] you mean [tex]dx_{1}\otimes dx_{2}[/tex], right?

The whole expression it's a sum, right? So for a metrics in R2, there will be... 24 different addends (12 for each k)?? :O

EDIT: Automessage- It's not a sum, they are Symbols! My fault :S

Last edited:
atomqwerty said:
With [tex]dx_{1}dx_{2}[/tex] you mean [tex]dx_{1}\otimes dx_{2}[/tex], right?

ooh, that's rather technical, we don't normally bother with that in physics :redface:
atomqwerty said:
The whole expression it's a sum, right? So for a metrics in R2, there will be... 24 different addends (12 for each k)?? :O

EDIT: Automessage- It's not a sum, they are Symbols! My fault :S

not following you :confused:

tiny-tim said:
ooh, that's rather technical, we don't normally bother with that in physics :redface:

It's for differential Geometry ;)

Thank you, it's been very helpfull! :approve:

1. What are Christoffel symbols and why are they important in science?

Christoffel symbols, also known as connection coefficients, are mathematical quantities used in differential geometry to describe the curvature and connections of a manifold. They are important in various fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering, as they provide a way to analyze and understand the behavior of systems with curved or non-Euclidean geometries.

2. How are Christoffel symbols determined?

The Christoffel symbols for a particular manifold are determined by taking the derivatives of the metric tensor and solving a set of equations known as the geodesic equations. This process can be quite complex and often requires advanced mathematical techniques such as tensor calculus.

3. What is the significance of subscripts in Christoffel symbols?

Subscripts in Christoffel symbols represent the coordinates or indices of the manifold on which the symbols are being calculated. They indicate the relationship between the curvature of the manifold and the coordinate system being used to describe it.

4. Can Christoffel symbols be calculated for any type of manifold?

Yes, Christoffel symbols can be calculated for any type of manifold, including Euclidean, spherical, and non-Euclidean spaces. However, the calculations may become more complex for higher dimensional manifolds or those with more intricate geometries.

5. What are some practical applications of Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as predicting the behavior of objects moving in curved spaces, analyzing the curvature of spacetime in general relativity, and designing efficient paths for spacecraft and satellites in orbital mechanics. They are also used in computer graphics and computer vision to model and manipulate complex shapes and surfaces.