Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromate ion

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    Can some one explain the structure of chromate ion on the basis of hybridisation cause I'm a bit confused I googled about it and there are posts like explaining it as sp3 hybridised ion. Explain please.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2
    Guys please help me.

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

If you really want to describe transition metal compounds in terms of hybrids, I would rather go for ##d^3s## than ##sp^3##, as the p orbitals in a highly charged ion like chromium VI are energetically much higher than the d orbitals. The d3s hybrids are directed along the diagonals of a cube. If you allow for a small substitution of d for p, the two directions along the diagonal become unequal and you will get a more tetrahedral shape.

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4
    The inner s orbital ie 3s would be affected by hybridisation or not? And how we are considering hybridisation between 2 orbitals of different shells?

6. Sep 26, 2016 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

The inner 3s orbital is way too low in energy and completely filled. Hence it won't participate in bonding. There is no prinicpal difficulty with hybridizing orbitals of different sub-shells as long as they are of comparable energy and size.

7. Sep 26, 2016 #6
    Got it. One more thing chromate ion is a complex right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted