Chromium Ions in Water: Balancing Cr3++ and OH- to Form Cr(OH)3

• Thread starter Dalek1099
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to balance the chemical equation Cr3++?OH-→ Cr(OH)3. The final balanced equation is Cr + 3OH → Cr(OH)3, where the charges and atoms are both balanced. The topic of balancing charges and atoms in a chemical equation is also mentioned.
Dalek1099
Cr3++?OH-→ Cr(OH)3

I think it should be 9 but the mark scheme says 3 but accept correct multiples because the 3+ charge has to be canceled by 3- and this has to produce 3 O

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What are you wanting to know? ...Are you wondering about the coefficient in front of the OH?
Because that is 3.

Each OH- has a charge of -1 (it's one of those polyatomic ions).
So the Cr+3 and 3 OH- ions cancel each other out and is neutral overall.

I hope I answered what you wanted to know...
Sorry if I didn't realize you were asking something else!

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
What are you wanting to know? ...Are you wondering about the coefficient in front of the OH?
Because that is 3.

Each OH- has a charge of -1 (it's one of those polyatomic ions).
So the Cr+3 and 3 OH- ions cancel each other out and is neutral overall.

I hope I answered what you wanted to know...
Sorry if I didn't realize you were asking something else!

I still think its dodgy because you are producing 3 OH so need 9 like in electrolysis, where 2O2-→4e- + O2 on the principle of that it should be 9 but I'm thinking the question itself is incorrect because it should be 3Cr3++9OH-→Cr(OH)3

You just have to make sure there is the same number of elements on each side.

3Cr+3 + 9OH-→Cr(OH)3

This isn't balanced because there are 3 Cr's on the left, and only 1 Cr on the right.
And on the left, there's 9 OH's, but on the right, there's only 3 OH's.

To balance this, you could add a 3 coefficient to the right side.

Then you'd have:

3Cr + 9OH --> 3Cr(OH)3

Now there are 3 Cr's on each side, and 9 OH's on each side.

*But this can be simplified further.
Just divide each coefficient by 3, and you'd get the correct formula:

Cr + 3OH --> Cr(OH)3

You are both inconsistent in treating charges - please always list them, as they are as important as atoms are. Reaction equation needs to have both atoms and charge balanced - atoms reflect mass conservation, charge reflects charge conservation

1. What are chromium ions in water?

Chromium ions refer to the positively charged forms of the element chromium (Cr) that are found in water. They can exist in various oxidation states, such as Cr(II), Cr(III), and Cr(VI), and are typically present in trace amounts in natural water sources.

2. What is the significance of chromium ions in water?

Chromium ions are important because they can have both beneficial and harmful effects. In small amounts, they are essential micronutrients for humans and play a role in various physiological processes. However, high levels of certain chromium ions, such as Cr(VI), can be toxic and cause health problems.

3. How do chromium ions get into water?

Chromium ions can enter water through natural processes, such as weathering and erosion of rocks and soil, or through human activities, such as industrial discharges and agricultural runoff. They can also be present in water due to the use of certain products, such as chromium-based dyes and paints.

4. How are chromium ions in water measured?

The concentration of chromium ions in water can be measured using various analytical techniques, such as atomic absorption spectrophotometry and ion chromatography. These methods can detect different forms of chromium ions and provide accurate measurements of their levels in water samples.

5. What are the potential health effects of chromium ions in water?

Exposure to high levels of certain forms of chromium ions, such as Cr(VI), can have harmful effects on human health. These include respiratory problems, skin irritation, and an increased risk of cancer. However, the health effects depend on the specific form of chromium ion, the amount and duration of exposure, and individual factors.