Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromium ions in water

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    Cr3++?OH-→ Cr(OH)3

I think it should be 9 but the mark scheme says 3 but accept correct multiples because the 3+ charge has to be cancelled by 3- and this has to produce 3 O

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2013 #2
    What are you wanting to know? ...Are you wondering about the coefficient in front of the OH?
    Because that is 3.

Each OH- has a charge of -1 (it's one of those polyatomic ions).
    So the Cr+3 and 3 OH- ions cancel each other out and is neutral overall.

I hope I answered what you wanted to know...
    Sorry if I didn't realize you were asking something else!

4. Jan 12, 2013 #3
    I still think its dodgy because you are producing 3 OH so need 9 like in electrolysis, where 2O2-→4e- + O2 on the principle of that it should be 9 but i'm thinking the question itself is incorrect because it should be 3Cr3++9OH-→Cr(OH)3

5. Jan 12, 2013 #4
    You just have to make sure there is the same number of elements on each side.

3Cr+3 + 9OH-→Cr(OH)3

This isn't balanced because there are 3 Cr's on the left, and only 1 Cr on the right.
    And on the left, there's 9 OH's, but on the right, there's only 3 OH's.

To balance this, you could add a 3 coefficient to the right side.

Then you'd have:

3Cr + 9OH --> 3Cr(OH)3

Now there are 3 Cr's on each side, and 9 OH's on each side.

*But this can be simplified further.
    Just divide each coefficient by 3, and you'd get the correct formula:

Cr + 3OH --> Cr(OH)3

6. Jan 12, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You are both inconsistent in treating charges - please always list them, as they are as important as atoms are. Reaction equation needs to have both atoms and charge balanced - atoms reflect mass conservation, charge reflects charge conservation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook