1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromosome damage

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    Somebody tells you that a single ultraviolet photon carries an energy equivalent of about 10
    electron volts (eV, see Appendix B). You propose a damage mechanism: A photon delivers that
    energy into a volume the size of the cell nucleus and heats it up; then the increased thermal
    motion knocks the chromosomes apart in some way. Is this a reasonable proposal? Why or why
    not?

(Heat produced) = (mechanical energy input) * (0.24 cal/J)

so that

Heat produced = 3.84E-19 cal

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

That's a good first step. Now you need to convert that energy into a change in temperature. To do this, you need to find the mass of a typical cell nucleus by finding the volume and assuming it has the same density as water (typically a good assumption when working with cells).

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    Assuming a cell nucleus diameter of ca 2 micrometers and mass density equal to that of water, the mass of the nucleus is 4E-15 kg.

I'm not sure how to calculate the temperature rise. Can I simply use

[tex]
    \Delta E_k = \frac{3}{2} k_B \Delta T
    [/tex]

as for gases?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

You'd have to use the more general formula

q = mcΔT

Where q is the amount of heat transfered, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    Should I assume the same specific heat capacity as water too?

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?