1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromosome & DNA

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    I've stumbled upon an interesting short article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4225769

It's about the possible danger of Y-chromosome in men loosing its genes throughout the evolution, because it is unpaired (the X-chromosomes are always paired and thus can correct random errors). That could inflict danger on reproduction, however MIT researchers claim that the Y-chromosomes have found an other way to survive by encoding the major genes as palindromes in DNA...

Now, what I can't understand is the following:

what I assume (please correct, if wrong):
    1. DNA is a long double-stranded (ds) molecule. It splits into two single-stranded (ss) counterparts only during replication. This is the place where the mutations can take place, however there always remains the second single-stranded counterpart, which will probably remain unchanged.
    2. chromosomes are nothing else than a complete (3 billion base pairs), double-stranded DNA molecules.

what I do not understand:
    1. How to X-chromosomes couple? Can two double-stranded DNA's couple?
    2. What is the danger with Y-chromosome? It is dsDNA, and is "secured" by the fact that mutation will occur only in a single strand, while the other one will survive. Why is the palindromic algorithm needed?
    3. How does DNA implement palindromic algorithm? Does it simple bend and copy itself like that:
    "__" turns into "U"

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    anyone! please help, or give directions what to read! F1!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?