Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromosome & DNA

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    I've stumbled upon an interesting short article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4225769

It's about the possible danger of Y-chromosome in men loosing its genes throughout the evolution, because it is unpaired (the X-chromosomes are always paired and thus can correct random errors). That could inflict danger on reproduction, however MIT researchers claim that the Y-chromosomes have found an other way to survive by encoding the major genes as palindromes in DNA...

Now, what I can't understand is the following:

what I assume (please correct, if wrong):
    1. DNA is a long double-stranded (ds) molecule. It splits into two single-stranded (ss) counterparts only during replication. This is the place where the mutations can take place, however there always remains the second single-stranded counterpart, which will probably remain unchanged.
    2. chromosomes are nothing else than a complete (3 billion base pairs), double-stranded DNA molecules.

what I do not understand:
    1. How to X-chromosomes couple? Can two double-stranded DNA's couple?
    2. What is the danger with Y-chromosome? It is dsDNA, and is "secured" by the fact that mutation will occur only in a single strand, while the other one will survive. Why is the palindromic algorithm needed?
    3. How does DNA implement palindromic algorithm? Does it simple bend and copy itself like that:
    "__" turns into "U"

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    anyone! please help, or give directions what to read! F1!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?