Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromosomes, Chromatids, Chromatin

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    Ahh...my classmates are all asking me this. What is the difference between those? Chromosomes is (>) right? Then When they duplicate its sister Chromatids (X)? Then during mitosis anaphase, they get pulled back into (>) correct? Please, someone help confirm. Note: This is not the X, Y thing, but Just how they are shaped. Thanks in advance.

And Chromatin is the collective chromosomes after they are condensed?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious because of the late hour, yes, you have it right.

4. Nov 29, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right, but it's better to visualize a chromosome as | which will duplicate into X which is two sister chromatids connected in the middle.

5. Nov 29, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Monique! You're back! We've missed you!

I know using | is the standard way people draw a chromosome, but I actually liked the > notation for illustration here. Besides, I had to stare at the keyboard a bit to figure out where the | key was. :biggrin: I'm not disagreeing with you, just sharing an opinion.

6. Nov 29, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I got confused when I saw the > :tongue2:

I'm still waiting to get an internet connection hooked up to my house, but it shouldn't be too long now anymore *whoohoo* subleasing and sloppy housebosses that don't pay bills :rolleyes: at least I still got gas and heating :wink: for now..

7. Nov 29, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that's right, you just moved. We were starting to think your Prince Charming :!!) swept you away on his white steed and took you to fairy land where we'd never hear from you again. :tongue2:

8. Nov 30, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That too :wink:

9. Dec 5, 2004 #8
    Chromosomes
    Chromatids - two strands held by centromere that are genetically identical
    Chromatin - dark area during interphase when chromosomes have not condensed.

10. Dec 5, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read the original post by Demiwing. The answers in that were correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?