Understanding Chromosomes: How Parental Genes are Activated in Somatic Cells

• Thread starter Dr. Nick
  • Start date
In summary, somatic cells contain two same chromosomes, one from each parent. Usually, both chromosomes are active and uncoiled, resulting in a mixture of proteins from both parents. However, in some cases, one parent may pass on a chromosome with a portion that is not expressed due to mutations. In females, one of the X chromosomes is typically shut off to compensate for having an additional X chromosome.
Dr. Nick
Two same chromosomes, each from one parent in our somatic cells.

So how is it chosen which one will be active in one cell ? Here I wonder, are 2 chromosomes, mother’s and father’s, active and “uncoiled” at the same time in the cell, or only one is uncoiled and used as template ? :blushing:

Biology news on Phys.org
From what I've learned it is usually both. You are getting a mixture of both chromosomes, or both kinds of proteins. This means that if the DNA sequence is not exactly the same and leads to a different amino acid sequence then you will have a mixture of the same protein. This is why some genes are recessive and dominant. Usually the dominant gene only requires one chromsome from one parent.

Reasons why only part of one would be active are:
One parent gave you a chromosome that has a portion that is not expressed due to mutations that inhibit transcription such as the inability to perform 'uncoiling.'

Thank you, I’ve asked this because I thought I’ve read in some cytology book that only one chromosome is active in some cells at the time…

Dr. Nick said:
Thank you, I’ve asked this because I thought I’ve read in some cytology book that only one chromosome is active in some cells at the time…
That's true for X chromosomes of females in mammals. To compensate for the presence of an additional X chromosome, females shut off expression of one of the X chromosomes.

1. What are chromosomes and what is their function?

Chromosomes are thread-like structures made of DNA molecules that contain genetic information. They are responsible for carrying and passing on genetic traits from one generation to the next.

2. How many chromosomes do humans have?

Humans typically have 23 pairs of chromosomes, for a total of 46 chromosomes in each cell.

3. Can chromosomes be inherited?

Yes, chromosomes are inherited from our parents. We receive one set of chromosomes from our mother and one set from our father.

4. How do chromosomes determine our traits?

Chromosomes contain genes, which are specific segments of DNA that code for proteins. These proteins determine our physical traits, such as eye color, hair color, and height.

5. Can mutations occur in chromosomes?

Yes, mutations can occur in chromosomes, which can lead to changes in the genetic information and can result in genetic disorders or diseases.