Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chromosomes reveal surprise human-chimp differences

1. May 27, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By NewScientist

So even though that the sequences at nucleotide level only differ with 1.44%, the actual change at amino acid level is much larger.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2004 #2
    This is neat and all, but what does it mean? Don't chimps have the same types of lymphatic, immune, endocrine, and musculoskeletal systems that we have?

I know you aren't doubting common ancestor, but to me if a few extra percent differences between the genomes are found, it's not too big a thing. I frankly can't understand how someone could deny common ancestor when you see all the similarities between complex systems.

4. May 27, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, just recently part of the sequence of the chimp was published, the rest is about to be released later this year. This is the first time that scientists have been able to compare large error-free sequences (an entire chromosome) between the two organisms (note I didn't use the species :P).

Since they know the exact sequence of every single base, they can predict amino-acid sequence from that. Every three bases codes for one amino-acid. I didn't see a number by what percent the amino-acid sequences actually differ, you'd have to look up the original Nature article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?