Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chronic lyme disease.

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    I just watched this documentary over the debate on this in Connecticut, is there any good literature on its existence? Most organizations say it doesn't exist although there were a few doctors siding with patients.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    Where I live in SW England you can certainly contract lyme disease (and some other nasty conditions) from the bugs (insects) that live in the countryside.

The NHS and countryside organisations issue annual warnings about the ticks that spread this infection.

I don't know whether the condition can be chronic or not though.

go well

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think you misunderstood, Studiot - I think the OP is referring to chronic vs acute lyme disease.

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    Looking in Davidson I find

Lyme disease is one of a group of infections by varieties of Borrelia.

Lyme disease itself is not recorded as chronic, however late complications can include

chronic polyneuropathy and chronic encepalopathy.

In the parts of Africa and Asia where other Borrelia infections are endemic and often untreated chronic symptoms persist.

Does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook