Exploring Tachyonic Antitelephone and Chronology Protection Conjecture

In summary: The principle of chronology protection states that in a closed timelike loop, an event cannot occur before its predecessor. So for example, in our own universe, the switch being thrown cannot occur before the light coming on. This is because if it did, then the observer travelling back in time would see the light coming on before the switch was thrown, which would violate causality.
Falcus
Now, first off I am punching well above my weight here but oh well. I am doing an extended project on theoretical methods of space travel and was doing some brief reading in the middle of writing about Miguel Alcubierre's warp drive for hyper fast travel within general relativity. I came across the suggestion of using tachyonic particles which lead me to the tachyonic antitelephone. It said that this would possible violate causality, firstly I do not fully grasp causality I don't think so an explanation of this as simple as possible would be nice, secondly, I know that the warp drive is suggested to violate causality but is affected by the chronology protection conjecture as to prevent closed timelike loops, does this same principle not apply to the tachyonic antitelephone? What I have said may just be a load of rubbish as as I say I am just a bit out of my depth but worth a try.

Thanks in advance
Falcus

Physics news on Phys.org
Falcus said:
firstly I do not fully grasp causality I don't think so an explanation of this as simple as possible would be nice
Imagine you follow this thread for a while, after some time you decide that the question has been answered, and send back all that information to you yesterday. As you (yesterday) knows the answer, you do not create the thread. But the thread exists...
Alternatively, imagine someone now sends you the text in the first post to you in the past, and imagine you just copied it to create the thread. Who wrote the thread?

There are a few possible solutions to this problem:
- self-consistency: something prevents you from sending the information back in time, or even if you do you still start the thread for some reason. Inconsistent universes cannot exist, therefore the universe is consistent
- causality: chains like "A leads to B leads to A (or not A)" do not exist (chronology protection conjecture)
- those time travel things lead to alternative timelines in some way

Likes ComplexVar89
Falcus said:
...firstly I do not fully grasp causality I don't think so an explanation of this as simple as possible would be nice...

Say there are two events, A and B, and according to you A causes B. So for instance A could be someone throwing a switch at one location and B could be a light coming on at another location. It can be shown that if the transmission of the signal from the one location to the other travels faster than the speed of light, then there exists another frame of reference, traveling at some speed relative to you, for which event B occurs before event A. That violates causality - in that frame an observer would determine that the light came on before the switch was thrown.

Likes Falcus

1. What is a tachyonic antitelephone?

A tachyonic antitelephone is a theoretical device that allows for communication between two points in spacetime that are separated by a distance greater than the speed of light. This is based on the concept of tachyons, hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light, and the concept of an antitelephone, which is a device that sends information back in time.

2. What is the chronology protection conjecture?

The chronology protection conjecture is a theoretical principle proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking that states that the laws of nature prevent time travel and the creation of closed timelike curves, which would allow for events to influence their own past. This principle is based on the theory of general relativity and the concept of causality.

3. Why is exploring tachyonic antitelephone and the chronology protection conjecture important?

Exploring these concepts can help us better understand the nature of time and the fundamental laws of the universe. It also has practical implications for the possibility of time travel and the impact it could have on causality and the course of events.

4. What is the current state of research on tachyonic antitelephone and the chronology protection conjecture?

While there have been several theoretical models proposed, there is currently no experimental evidence for the existence of tachyons or the ability to send information back in time. The chronology protection conjecture is also still a subject of debate and further research is needed to fully understand its implications.

5. Are there any potential implications or consequences of tachyonic antitelephone and the chronology protection conjecture?

If it were possible to send information back in time, it could have significant consequences for causality and the course of events. It could also raise ethical questions about the use and potential misuse of such technology. However, until there is concrete evidence and a better understanding of these concepts, any potential implications remain purely theoretical.