Chroot: Celebrating a PF Legend's Retirement

• Praise
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Chroot, PF Admin for 7 years, is retiring. Few people can say they've been an integral part in PF's evolution like Chroot has. Chroot developed PF's famous past LaTeX system and was responsible for boosting PF's exposure in the early years. Chroot has meant a lot to PF over the years and I personally owe him a great deal of gratitude. With his retirement, Chroot joins the very exclusive Retired PF Staff club. Life is good :smile:
Chroot, PF Admin for 7 years, is retiring. Few people can say they've been an integral part in PF's evolution like Chroot has.

Chroot was responsible for boosting PF's exposure in the early years by developing a connection between PF and some Usenet groups. That brilliant work allowed us to communicate with Usenet via PF. Chroot also developed our famous past LaTeX system. With it, I believe we were the first of the major communities to enable advanced equation representation. This was a major major step forward in PF's evolution. The system, so useful, was later copied by other communities.

Chroot has meant a lot to PF over the years and I personally owe him a great deal of gratitude. Many times he has dug deep and troubleshooted server problems. Over the years we talked about decisions with PF and so far everything has been a success. It is my sincere hope that Chroot maintains a presence here at PF. His value is no mystery!

So, now he joins the very exclusive Retired PF Staff club. Life is good :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Chroot!

Thanks chroot. You were my hero when I first found the PF. Cheers!

Wow, chroot has been a part of PF forever.

For those that didn't know him, he could be incredibly funny.

I know that he's had a lot of good things going on in his life. So best wishes to him. Hopefully he'll still pop up on PF Facebook from time to time.

Thanks for all you did to help Greg make PF happen!

Last edited:
I guess we need to cp chroot. :biggrin:

Many thanks chroot for all the hardwork and contributions to PF!

I'll miss you chroot. Like berkeman, you were my hero also when I first joined.

Have a nice retirement.

I bow to you, Sir! I wish you all the best, chroot. (And I do hope you find the time to hang around PF when you can.)

(chroot was one of the main inspirations for me sticking around PF when I first joined; he's awesome!)

Thank you, chroot!

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this site, chroot!

A sincere thanks to you, chroot. It is people like you who make the internet a better place!

Thanks for your contributions chroot!

Thanks for everything chroot!

Code:
jhae2.718@linux-site: ~> vi thanks_chroot.txt
i
1 Thanks, chroot!
:wq

Thanks for everything, chroot. Especially all the help with C++ all those years ago.

Wow.

Chroot posted the second response to my very first thread.

I will always remember that. And I will name my company after you, if that is ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q

Bicycles do count.

:smile:

Godspeed young man. Godspeed.

Plus Chroot is pretty cool.. Thanks for all you have done.

Thanks for all your efforts chroot!

I am one of the few left that can remember your early days.

Good luck it what ever you do.

Integral

Sad to see you go! One of the few 'originals' left around here.

I know you're a good guy Chroot :smile:

Wish you all the best... Shouldn't you show up already? o:)

Thanks Chroot for everything you've done for the PF community! We appreciate you!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'll still be around. I haven't made time for PF in a while, but I want that to change. Good luck, Astronuc and Borek, in your new roles.

- Warren

Thanks for all you've done to make PF what it is, chroot. You're an exemplary leader, and I've learned a lot from your posts. Your professionalism and cool-headedness always impressed me.

Hope he'd come back very soon...miss him alot!:frown:

Wow, I missed this!.

Thanks Chroot!, You were one of the reason why I decided to register for this forum. A math question you answered here few years ago!.

Also, congrats to Borek and Astronuc, can't think of better users to be promoted to admins!. Such dedication to PF!

1. What is "Chroot: A Legend Retires" about?

"Chroot: A Legend Retires" is a fictional story about a scientist named Dr. Chroot who has dedicated his life to studying the effects of aging on the human body. As he nears retirement, he must come to terms with his own mortality and the impact of his work on society.

2. Is "Chroot: A Legend Retires" based on real scientific research?

No, "Chroot: A Legend Retires" is a work of fiction and is not based on any specific scientific research. However, it does explore themes and ideas related to aging and the ethics of scientific experimentation.

3. How does Dr. Chroot's work in the story relate to real-life scientific advancements?

While the story is not based on real scientific research, it does touch on themes and ideas that are relevant to current scientific advancements in the study of aging and longevity. It raises important questions about the potential consequences of pursuing immortality and the ethical implications of scientific experimentation.

4. Who is the intended audience for "Chroot: A Legend Retires"?

The intended audience for "Chroot: A Legend Retires" is anyone interested in science and technology, particularly in the fields of aging and longevity. It may also appeal to those interested in ethical considerations surrounding scientific research.

5. Are there any sequels or follow-ups to "Chroot: A Legend Retires"?

At this time, there are no sequels or follow-ups to "Chroot: A Legend Retires". However, the author may choose to continue the story in the future.