What Does it Take to Be a Co-Admin on a Scientific Forum?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, chroot has been promoted to co-admin and now has the power to moderate all forums and make changes to the website. He will still continue to post between bug fixing sessions. His previous role was a little peasant girl who frolicked in the meadows and now he has the added responsibility of beating people up (jokingly, of course). Congrats, chroot!
Congrats to chroot! He is now a co-admin! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent!

Congrats chroot. I hope you can still post between bug fixing sessions :smile:

Way to go chroot!

Woohoo!

So what's co-admin do exactly? Does he get to beat people up?

photon said:
So what's co-admin do exactly? Does he get to beat people up?

He could do that before the promotion. :D

Now he has the power to moderate all the Forums and to make changes to the website, such as the addition of LaTeX.

Tom said:
Now he has the power to moderate all the Forums and to make changes to the website
...and beat people up. Thanks, everyone -- I wasn't really expecting such a promotion, and will, of course, always do my best to serve the community here. :smile:

- Warren

Congrats chroot! I see you are already making yourself useful.

What was Chroot before his promotion?

Oh, how I frolicked in the meadows...

- Warren

And to think I used to lock your topics... ;)
congrats, chroot!

Greg Bernhardt said:
A little peasent girl :p
How 'bout a picture of THAT for the Member Photo Thread?! :eek: :biggrin:

1. What is "Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin"?

Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin refers to a security feature in Linux operating systems where a specific user or process is restricted to a designated directory, known as the "chroot jail", within the overall file system. This user or process is then granted administrative privileges within the designated directory, but is restricted from accessing any files or directories outside of it.

2. Why is "Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin" important?

This feature is important for security purposes as it helps to limit the potential damage that can be done by a compromised user or process. By restricting their access to only a designated directory, the impact of any malicious or unintended actions is minimized.

3. How does "Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin" work?

When a user or process is "chrooted" to a specific directory, their view of the file system is limited to only that directory and its subdirectories. Any attempt to access files or directories outside of the designated directory will result in an error. This restriction is enforced by the kernel.

4. Can "Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin" be bypassed?

While the "chroot jail" provides an extra layer of security, it is not foolproof and can potentially be bypassed by a skilled attacker. It is important to regularly update and patch the system to fix any potential vulnerabilities.

5. Are there any alternatives to "Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin"?

Yes, there are other security measures that can be used in addition to or instead of "Chroot Promoted to Co-Admin", such as containerization technologies like Docker or virtual machines. These options provide more isolation between processes and can be more difficult to bypass.