Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chroot

1. Jul 31, 2004 #1
    re - "Really, if you guys are going to continue to have this much personal drama, please keep it to PMs and emails. We really don't need it on this forum."

That's one of the things that is extremly irritating about you warren. In the first place you know as fact that dw refuses all PMs (he can't stand people takikng to him for some reason, paranoia?). And it is quite literlly impossible to obtain the answer to my question by senting him PM since it was a request for opinion from others. Your problem is that you quite often read into things which don't exist. But you never seem to mind telling people that what they do is stupid as you have in a post to me, do you?

I asled the people here a very legitimate question. If you wanted to whine about it then you should have edited the parts out that you didn't like. dw is the one always looking for trouble, not I. But he lies so much I wanted to see if his claim was true.

Since you refused to delete all his posts which borders on proking flame wars from the board and you also refused to respond to my PM on that topic then I saw no reason not to ask that question.

You're a forum administrator and you abuse that position quite often. Please act more mature if you want to hold such a responsible position.

Your next question will obviously be - "Why didn't you PM me these questions?" - The answer is - You don't respond to PMs on questions like this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, my next question was going to be "why didn't you post this to the right forum?"

Since you'd like to make this an open-air discussion, let me fill you in on how us mentors feel. There seems to me to be a general consesus among all of the mentors that both you and DW are enormous pains in the ass. I believe you have both had accounts banned for breaking site rules. Although you continually come whining to the mentors to deal with DW, you dish out as much as you take. You are as much of a problem to us as he is. That's the reason why I don't always do what you want me to do -- I don't really regard you as a very positive member of this forum.

- Warren

4. Aug 1, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If this is a thread about chroot, I should get to say what I think, too.
    I think Warren does a great job. He's always very tolerant and patient, he's always helpful, and PF is lucky to have him.
    Just my 2 cents.
    :smile:

5. Aug 1, 2004 #4
    [quote
    Since you'd like to make this an open-air discussion, ..
    [/quote]
    Nope. You chose to make this an open-air discussion, not I. You refuse to discuss anything in PM. You're so arrogant that you refuse to respond to a question as if it was beneath you. You whine to others when they don't take something to PM and then when someone does it with you then you refuse to respond or even acknowledge that you read the PM. You're a hypocrit in that respect.

You accepted the responsibility of being a forum administrator. In doing so you have accepted all of the responsibilities that go along with it. So while you've chosen to use the more visibly aspects of your duties and those which give you power over others and is highly visible, e.g. closing threads, deleting posts, etc., you have also been extremley lax in your other, more invisible, responsibilities such as reading and responding to PMs from forum participants. From your comments below you've shown me that you think that you consider yourself too good for that. To me you seem like a school boy with his first taste of power and you now think you're superior to others.

You have the ability in your possession to handle such matters in a very benign manner, i.e. by taking discussions like this to PM. Yet you have chosen to chastize people in open forum. Why? Do you think people will respect you more of you chastize them in open forum? Why are you incapable of doing what you are always telling others to do? I see that as arrogance.

I wanted to ask you a question in PM. That question was related to curtail those posts designed by dw to be antagonizing. People here have alreay expressed a dislike for that and you ignored it. Do you think every likes seeing dw act like a wiseass here and watch his antagonizing posts be ignored/accepted?

So I PM'd you and someone else a request. But you ignore all PMs that I've e-mailed you. So what is it that you think my choices are? Watch people be irritated by dw or lied to and I can't fix his lies since I block them. At the moment I don't know what he's writing and therefore I don't know what the possible outcomes of those lies can be so I've asked you to do your job. You can choose to ignore my request But now I see that you're not too bright and you think it was a demand.

Sorry but you're not bright enough to discuss this with. Your comments showed me that you constantly read into things which aren't there and you make claims as to what other moderators say. Let them speak for themselves.

And feel free to delete my account whenever you feel fit. You'd be doing me a favor since I thought this was a forum for adults and not imature kids like you.

6. Aug 1, 2004 #5
    Then you can have him. Please convince him to delete me account so when I go to post here I'll be reminded of what chroot is like and how he lets dw post irritating lies.

You'll be doing me a favor and I'd thank you for it.

Pete

7. Aug 1, 2004 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Apparently intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is more improbable than I thought. None here is evident. Chroot is guilty of digesting more bull than I could ever swallow.

8. Aug 1, 2004 #7

Let me just say that I haven't been myself for the last couple of months. I've tried to be more calm in my postings except that my nerves are frazzled big time. I wanted to discuss this off line with chroot in PM but he refused to respond. He has the unfortunate problem of reading ever request I make as a demand for action and all explanations/descriptions in physics I give as me demanding people do what I say. Totally wrong of course and there is not one post on the internet which even hints at that. And I can't help what erroneous conclusions people jump to. But chroot must have strong legs since he seems be a person who jumps to a lot of incorrect conclusions.

chroot - you need to learn how to ask a question to people when you think they are demanding something of you.

After I stumbled across one of dw's attempts to start a flame war I sent this message to chroot
    chroot interprets that as a demand. Its too bad too since that is literally a polite request.

However - Last night I should have let this drop but I didn't. I don't like to make excuses but since I posted such a long diatriabe last night I think the forum (except for chroot since he's too imature to understand the difference between a request and a demand) deserves an explaination of my actions : I'm sure all of you have been in pain at one time of your life right. And when that is happening you're not the most polite person in the world. I do everything I can to not let that effect the way I treat people. However I was less than perfect last night due to out of control pain. I had to be rushed to the hospital last night due to freakish levels of pain. I'm better now and I ask the board's forgiveness for telling chroot like it is. So let's put this all behind us and forget my leaving etc. dw is a permanent member of my ignore list and will try to avoid reading his posts when people quote him

Thanks

Pete

ps - chroot - let other moderators speak for themselves. Don't speak for them. If they have something to say to me than say it directly to my face in PM.

9. Aug 1, 2004 #8
    Then I hope you're feeling better, Pete. Really.

10. Aug 1, 2004 #9
    Thank you. I can't wait until this phase of my life is over. Even if I do have to have surgery (blech). I'll try not to post from now on if/when I'm in pain.

Pete

11. Aug 1, 2004 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

God, Pete, that's awful! I am sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope you're feeling better. And I hope you will decide to stick around this board even if there are some annoying folks on it occasionally who make nasty caustic comments or try to start a "flame war". I figure if someone's going to make a malicious or incendiary comment in response to your post, then what the hell, let those comments stay up so everyone can see what kind of person they are.
    I think the good outweighs the bad here. There are so many wonderful things about this board, and so much you can gain from it, and so much you can contribute to it. Who cares what the occasional random knucklehead says. It doesn't make you look bad. It just makes that person look childish.

-Jessica :smile:

12. Aug 2, 2004 #11
    Hmmmm .... Excellant point! :smile:

Pete

13. Aug 3, 2004 #12
    I have no clue who you are because I don't ever remember talking to you, however...

I agree, Chroot is extremely helpful however, he is easily offended when wrong and often retaliates with personal attacks and does use his administration powers to his advantage.

I asked him a question about the Zi-burban is said he worked on. He said there were safety problems, I PMed him and asked what was wrong with it but he ignored it. I wasn't complaining about a member, I wasn't complaining or insulting him, I simply asked a question. If he didn't want to talk about the Zi-burban, he should have never brought it up in a thread.

And also, what's even more ridiculous was during a fairly heated debate with another member, Chroot joined in and started attacking me - is that what an admin is supposed to do?

Learn from the other moderators Chroot. I sure as hell hope you're not this cantankerous in real life or your life is going to extremely difficult.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  14. Aug 3, 2004 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do I really have to respond to every PM I get? Do I really have to answer the phone everytime it rings? Do I really have to respond to every thread in which I have once participated? :rolleyes:

- Warren

15. Aug 4, 2004 #14
    Do you really have to be an Administrator! :biggrin:

16. Aug 4, 2004 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

poor chroot! with all the whining he puts up with, I am guessing he's asked himself that question a time or two.

17. Aug 4, 2004 #16

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The "P" in PM stands for private - let's keep it that way

If someone sends me a PM, I treat the contents of that message as private, not to be revealed to others without their consent. Similarly, I expect that a PM I send to someone will be treated as private.

What do others feel? Should we respect the "P" part of PM?

I'd also like to add my support for the excellent job that chroot is doing - PF's success owes much to his efforts.

18. Aug 4, 2004 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I will second that!!! Kudos to chroot!!! He has done a LOT for this forum.

19. Aug 4, 2004 #18

JD

But you're still here - Chroot hasn't made you leave so he can't be that terrible. Maybe try arguing from a different angle, or from more than one angle at once. Actually, that might not be a good move. The combination of space/time theorems and multiple alternate personalities is....blah blah blah.....and the pie is ready to come out of the oven.

20. Aug 4, 2004 #19
    Yes!

I hope he understands that I was just jesting(joking). No doubt it cannot be an easy job 'PFadmin', but I for know that everybody who visists the PF website must have other issue's elsewhere, an 'outside-life', no doubt that chroot does this admin work purely out of enjoyment?..but having said that, it has to be awkward sometimes knowing where to enforce rules of PF, and what he has inside his head as an individual, his everday being/life.

I for one would not entertain the PF mentor job, I am to busy theorizing!..but I do so admire those who do give up their time to do the best they can for the maintenance of the "status-quo".

21. Aug 12, 2004 #20
    amen to that-

I think that warren has spent too much time chasing after crackpots- that he has become paranoid and sees crackpots everywhere-
    if Sir Martin Rees or Michio Kaku posted on this forum chroot would ban them within 24 hours! :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?