Chuck speed of a lathe

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, i would be grateful if anyone could help.
When using a lathe to cut a spindle of 10mm diameter at a cutting speed of 45m/min, how would i convert the 45m/min into rev/min and rad/s?
Also how would i covert the cutting speed of 45m/min into mm/s for a spinde of 7mm?

Answers and Replies

So, the spindle is 10 mm diameter. The circumference is thus 31 mm or 0.031m which is 0.031 m/revolution. Then 45 m/min divided by 0.031 m/revolution gives 1450 rpm. Note that, as your tool goes into the spindle, the surface speed will decrease as the diameter.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
This question is posed rather strangely. The 45 m/min looks like a feed rate. It appears that the OP needs a depth of cut number. I'm probably misunderstanding the problem.

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This question is posed rather strangely. The 45 m/min looks like a feed rate. It appears that the OP needs a depth of cut number. I'm probably misunderstanding the problem.
I think this is just a conversion problem:
1 revolution=2 [itex]\pi[/itex] radians
1 diameter = 2 radians
1 minute = 60 seconds
1 meter = 1000 millimeters

Now, in this problem
1 diameter = 10 mm

So - to get from meters per minute to revolutions per second:
45 meters/minute * (1 minute/60 seconds) * (1000 milimeters/1 meter) * (1 diameter/10 millimeters) * (2 radians/1 diameter) * (1 revolution/ 2 [itex]\pi[/itex] radians)

Each of the fractions is 1, and you should be able to cross off the units. Regrouping gives...
(45 * 1000 * 2) revolution / (60*10*2 [itex]\pi[/itex]) seconds.

I think (hope) that he was asking for cutting speed in surface m/min cause that's how I answered. It sounds about right for free machining low carbon steel (~150 fpm). OP, help us out. But, yes, he sorta asked it backwards of the way you normally hear it, so I'm not sure.