1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cicrular/rotational dynamics

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solid cylinder of mass 10 kg is pivoted about a frictionless axis through the center O. A rope wrapped around the outer radius R1 = 1.0 m, exerts a force F1 = 5.0 N to the right. A second rope wrapped around another section of radius R2 = 0.50 m exerts a force F2 = 6.0 N downward. How many radians does the cylinder rotate through in the first 5.0 seconds, if it starts from rest?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I did find the torque for each force, with the counterclockwise force being positive.

so

T(1) = (1.0 m)(5m) = 5 N*m
    T(2) = (0.5 m)(6.0 N) = 3 N*m

so I figured out that the net torque would be 2 N*m in the clockwise direction.

But i don't know what to do with this.

Thank you so much!

Sorry, here's the picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=otlszm&s=7

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2
    Find the angular acceleration from another formula for torque (which also requires the moment of inertia)

4. Jul 22, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. Was there a diagram to accompany this problem? How are we to know if the ropes are wrapped in the same direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook