Circuit w/ Diodes: Voltages & Conducting?

• Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diodes
In summary, when calculating the voltages across diodes, it is important to consider all possible cases. In this situation, there are four cases: both diodes off, both diodes on, D1 on only, and D2 on only. The determination of whether a diode is on or off depends on the potential difference across it. In this scenario, both diodes require 0.7V to turn on, so if one diode has a higher voltage, it will shut off the other one. It is not possible for both diodes to be on at the same time because this would result in two different voltages for one node, which is not allowed. It is also not possible for D1 to be off and
snowJT
Quiz3-diodes.gif

I'm suppose to calculate the voltages across the diodes.. but I was wondering in this situation, are both diodes conducting, or is only the first one conducting because there is more power in that, and it shuts off the other one.

Physics news on Phys.org
in diode problems like this usually, you should check all cases to see which is the only consistent one. In this case, there are four cases both off, both on, D1 on only and D2 on only. Now I am not sure whether those diodes are ideal or you put 0.6V across them when they are ON. But the technique is the same. Remember what determines ON/OFF is the potential difference across each of them.

they both need 0.7 V, so I'm guessing the D1 will shut off D2

some one please help? :(

If your guess works, you did good.

Let me ask you:

why couldn't they both be turned ON?
why couldn't D1 be OFF and D2 be ON?

lol, its kind of a long explanation.. but even if the 5V turned on much before the 8 V did... but as soon as the 8V kicks in, there is 7.2 volts against the 5 volts.. and so it doesn't go through the diode.. I know its more complicated than that. but...

It's really not complicated though.

here's how i'd do the first case (why can't they both be on?)
call the node inbetween the diodes Vx

~the drop across D1 is 0.7, making Vx = 7.3V
~the drop across D2 is 0.7, making Vx = 4.3V

two different voltages for one node isn't allowed, so this is why they can't both be turned on.

Now try acting as if D1 is OFF and D2 is ON, and see what happens

1. What is the purpose of using diodes in a circuit?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. They are typically used in circuits to protect against reverse current, regulate voltage, and convert AC to DC.

2. How do diodes affect the voltage in a circuit?

Diodes have a voltage drop, meaning they reduce the voltage in a circuit by a certain amount. This voltage drop can vary depending on the type of diode used. For example, a silicon diode typically has a voltage drop of 0.7 volts.

3. Can diodes conduct in both directions?

No, diodes only allow current to flow in one direction. This is due to their internal structure, which consists of a p-n junction that prevents current from flowing in the opposite direction.

4. What happens if a diode is connected in reverse polarity?

If a diode is connected in reverse polarity, it will not allow any current to flow through and act as an open circuit. This can cause damage to the diode and other components in the circuit if not corrected.

5. How do I calculate the voltage drop across a diode in a circuit?

The voltage drop across a diode can be calculated using Ohm's Law (V = IR) and the diode's forward current and resistance values. However, it is important to note that the voltage drop can vary depending on the temperature and current in the circuit.