How High is a Satellite Traveling at 6.7 km/s Above Earth?

• Thread starter the_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the ratio of the orbital period of planet B to that of planet A is either 8 or 27, depending on whether the problem means "two times as large" or "two times larger".
the_d
A satellite moves in a circular orbit around
the Earth at a speed of 6.7 km/s.
Determine the satellite's altitude above the
surface of the Earth. Assume the Earth
is a homogeneous sphere of radius Rearth =
6370 km and mass Mearth = 5.98 x 10^24 kg .
You will need G = 6:67259 x 10^-11 N m^2/kg2

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a simple question. How long did you try to do it?
Use mv^2/(R+h) =GMm/(R+h)^2

the_d said:
A satellite moves in a circular orbit around
the Earth at a speed of 6.7 km/s.
Determine the satellite's altitude above the
surface of the Earth. Assume the Earth
is a homogeneous sphere of radius Rearth =
6370 km and mass Mearth = 5.98 x 10^24 kg .
You will need G = 6:67259 x 10^-11 N m^2/kg2

Be careful with your units. Convert to mks and use:

[tex]altitude = \frac{GM}{v^2}-radius[/tex]

to get altitude in meters

what is mks??

what is mks?

mks stands for meters, kilograms, and seconds. Most formulas that you use in physics require that the numbers be in these units. For example, distance = velocity * time. If your velocity were 20 meters/second and your time was 2 hours, it would not be correct to say that distance = 20 m /s * 2 hours = 40. (Actually, you could do it this way if you were satisfied with a unit that no one used. It would be 40 meter hours/second. But try telling someone that the distance from their house to yours is 40 meter hours/second, and you'll gain an appreciation for mks). But if your time was in seconds then you would have distance = 20 m/s * 7200s= 14400 m. Now if you want, you can stray from mks and express the answer as 14.4 km, which in everyday talk is the best way to say it. But as long as you remain in mks while working the problem, you'll avoid lots of mistakes.

Look at the units in your problem:

G: N m^2/kg^2 : you've got meters and kilograms
Mass: kg
Radius: km

Everything looks good except for radius. It's expressed in km, and the formula wants meters. So you must convert it to meters first by multiplying it by 1000.

When you get an answer, your answer will be in meters, but it would be easier to comprehend if it were in kilometers. So you would want to divide it by 1000.
In your problem, notice the units after G. There's a "m" in there and a "kg".

tony873004 said:
Be careful with your units. Convert to mks and use:

[tex]altitude = \frac{GM}{v^2}-radius[/tex]

to get altitude in meters

i used this formula but i still keep getting the wrong answer. i changed radius from km to meters and km/s to m/s but i still keep getting the wrong answer

nevermind

i forgot to change the answer back to km's

Orbits

i have a final question, which is how do i find this. i know what the question is askin i just don't understand how to get the answer

Two planets A and B, where B has twice the
mass of A, orbit the Sun in elliptical orbits.
The semi-major axis of the elliptical orbit of
planet B is two times larger than the semi-
major axis of the elliptical orbit of planet A.
What is the ratio of the orbital period of
planet B to that of planet A?

The fact that the planets are different masses are irrelavant. But the ratio formula is P^2 = A^3.

Period^2 = semi-major axis ^3

It's NOT P2= A3!

P2 is PROPORTIONAL to X3. That is P2/X3 is the same for both planets (that's one of Kepler's laws). (I've changed to X rather than A since, in the original question, A is used as the label of one planet.)

If we let PA and PB be the periods of planets A and B respectively and XA and XB be the semi-axes, then
[tex]\frac{P_A^2}{X_A^3}= \frac{P_B^2}{X_B^3}[/tex]
and so
[tex]\frac{X_B^3}{X_A^3}= \frac{P_B^2}{P_A^2}[/tex].

Now, a question: does the problem actually say "two times larger" rather than "two times as large as"? The latter, "two times as large as" would mean
[tex]\frac{X_B}{X_A}= 2[/tex]
while, strictly speaking "two times larger" means "three times as large":
[tex]\frac{X_B}{X_A}= 3[/tex]
but is often used incorrectly!

If it is "two times as large", then
[tex]\frac{X_B^3}{X_A^3}= {\frac{X_B}{X_A}}^3= 8[/tex]

If it is "two times larger" then
[tex]\frac{X_B^3}{X_A^3}= {\frac{X_B}{X_A}}^3= 27[/tex]

1. What is a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is a type of motion in which an object revolves around another object at a constant distance, forming a circular path.

2. What is the force that keeps an object in a circular orbit?

The force that keeps an object in a circular orbit is called centripetal force. It is directed towards the center of the circular path and is necessary to balance the object's inertia and keep it moving in a circular motion.

3. How is the speed of an object in a circular orbit related to its distance from the center?

The speed of an object in a circular orbit is directly proportional to its distance from the center. This means that as the distance increases, the speed also increases in order to maintain a circular path.

4. Can an object in a circular orbit change its speed?

Yes, an object in a circular orbit can change its speed. This can happen if an external force is applied, causing the centripetal force to change, which in turn affects the object's speed.

5. What is the difference between a circular orbit and an elliptical orbit?

A circular orbit is a specific type of elliptical orbit in which the distance between the two objects remains constant. In an elliptical orbit, the distance between the objects varies, creating a more elongated path.