Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cindy Sheehan arrested

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    The news networks are reporting that Cindy Sheehan has just been arrested while protesting outside of the White House. I haven't found any sites reporting it yet, but I'm sure that there will be soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9493139/

Iraq war protester Sheehan arrested
    Protest near White House aimed at refocusing attention on conflict
    Associated Press
    Sept. 26, 2005

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    From the link to the Associated Press report:

If a citizen has to obtain a permit to demonstrate, what does this say about freedom of speech? What if the permit is denied?

I would like to say to Mitzy, the unthinking lemming that she is, that ending the war would give Americans hope and take away a reason for the enemy to exist.

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

...and would allow a brutal dictator to massacre Iraqi civilians by the 100,000s. But of course, as long as America is happy right IL?

I find it odd that all of a sudden, just because this zombie got arrested for not doing the simple task of getting a permit, you are saying that getting a permit is unconstitutional...

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the part that really disturbed me. As best I can tell from the news stories, it was a peaceful protest, so no reason to arrest anyone. To require a permit to protest on public property, in front of the White House no less, sounds like a clear first amendment violation to me!

7. Sep 26, 2005 #6
    I don't know about the US but this would have been unconstitutional in Canada.

Not that it actually matters what the legalities are, arresting her was wrong plain and simple, she was protesting peacefully.

8. Sep 26, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She had a permit, it's called the first amendment! As long as they were protesting in a peaceable manner and not putting anyone in harm's way (no rioting going on), then she shouldn't require a permit on public property. If they were on private property, that would be a different story, but then the charge would be trespassing, not protesting without a permit.

9. Sep 26, 2005 #8
    This is exactly what I was talking about when I brought up the rave being raided by SWAT because they didn't have the right permit.

No where in the constitution does it say you need a permit to assemble for anything. What a prepostorous idea, and one that absolutely tramples over civil liberties.

10. Sep 26, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Of course you have to have a permit. This is nothing new folks.

11. Sep 26, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nowhere in the Constitution does it say I have to have a permit for my firearm... but hey, i still get to have my gun.

12. Sep 26, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You can't just start protesting wherever you want to. What If i started a protest out infront of your driveway where you live. Public property... but I'm sure you'd get a little pissed. Thus, permits.

13. Sep 26, 2005 #12
    BULL..

There is NO justification for requiring a permit, NO justification for impeding my 1st ammendment rights.

14. Sep 26, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So you wouldn't mind me and a few of my friends putting up a protest infront of your driveway? Maybe on a major highway that you need to use to get to work?

15. Sep 26, 2005 #14
    In Canada

I'm no legal expert, buy my understanding is that in Canada as long as you're not on private property, you're protesting peacefully and your not obstructing someone's movement you have every right to protest there. You only need a permit for special instances.

16. Sep 26, 2005 #15
    Yeah.. that's obstructing movement, if Cindy Sheehan was obstructing movement where she sat down and refused to move I would say that she was justifiably arrested... provided she was informed of this beforehand...

17. Sep 26, 2005 #16
    There's also a difference between protesting and just disturbing the peace.

18. Sep 26, 2005 #17
    she sat down on a sidewalk in DC so that probably qualifies. And she WAS warned.

Anyhow it sounds like she was trying to get arrested to draw attention.

What I'm miffed about is the charge that she was arrested because she was protesting without a warrant.

What trash!

19. Sep 26, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, obstructing movement.

And protesting is disturbing hte peace if you haven't realized that. Thus you give out permits so that the "peace" can be given a little detour so no problems arise.

20. Sep 26, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So i guess when your against President Bush, laws mean nothing. Figures.

21. Sep 26, 2005 #20
    Uh no? Where did I mention president bush? I was talking about the fact that a permit is required to protest...

When a law is unjust you should fight it, regardless of politics...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?