1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circlar motion

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. A computer disk is 8.0 cm in diameter. A reference dot on the edge of the disk is initially located at θ = +45°. The disk accelerates steadily for second, reaching 1480 rpm, then coasts at steady angular velocity for another second. What are the location and speed of the reference dot at t = 1 s?

2. v=rw

3. i already got the 6.28 m/s for speed. and i thought since i have speed i can just do v=rw to get w and then draw a diagram to get the area under the curve. After i got the area just use delta theta/ 2pi=revolution. then minus the whole number and take the decimal to divide by 360 then plus 45 right? but appreantly i am wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We assume it is at rest at t=0 and accelerates until t = 1s at which time its speed [itex]\omege =2960\pi[/itex] rad/sec. To find the angle it covers in that first second, use:

[tex]\theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/itex]

AM

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook