Circle and square homeomorphism

In summary, to show that the closed unit square region is homeomorphic to the closed unit disc, one can start by showing that a single circle is homeomorphic to a single square, and then extend this to a family of expanding circles and squares filling up the regions. This can be accomplished using a simple function.
metder
I realize this is a classic problem, but I'm not sure exactly how to start on it:
Show that the closed unit square region is homeomorphic to the closed unit disc.

Physics news on Phys.org
metder said:
I realize this is a classic problem, but I'm not sure exactly how to start on it:
Show that the closed unit square region is homeomorphic to the closed unit disc.

Draw a picture and I think you will immediately see the mapping

I think Lavinia is suggesting you start by showing a single circle is homeomorphic to a single square, and then apply that to a family of expanding circles and squares filling up the regions.

mathwonk said:
I think Lavinia is suggesting you start by showing a single circle is homeomorphic to a single square, and then apply that to a family of expanding circles and squares filling up the regions.

yes. And I think this can be done with a simple function

I would approach this problem by first defining what homeomorphism means in mathematics. Homeomorphism is a topological property that describes the relationship between two spaces that can be continuously deformed into each other without tearing or gluing any points. In simpler terms, two spaces are homeomorphic if they have the same shape or structure.

To show that the closed unit square region and the closed unit disc are homeomorphic, we can use a continuous map that preserves their topological properties. In this case, we can use a mapping function that transforms points from the square to the disc in a way that maintains their relative positions and distances.

One such mapping function is the polar coordinate transformation, which maps a point (x, y) in the square to a point (r, θ) in the disc, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis. This mapping is continuous and bijective, meaning that every point in the square is mapped to a unique point in the disc and vice versa.

Furthermore, this mapping preserves the topological properties of the two spaces. The square and the disc both have the property of being simply connected, which means that any loop in the space can be continuously shrunk to a point without leaving the space. The polar coordinate transformation preserves this property as any loop in the square can be mapped to a loop in the disc that can be continuously shrunk to a point.

Therefore, we can conclude that the closed unit square region and the closed unit disc are homeomorphic, as they have the same topological properties and can be continuously deformed into each other through the polar coordinate transformation. This is a classic problem in mathematics, but it serves as a good reminder of the importance of topological properties in understanding the relationships between different spaces.

1. What is a circle and square homeomorphism?

A circle and square homeomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between a circle and a square. It states that a circle and a square are topologically equivalent, meaning that they can be transformed into one another through continuous deformations without losing any of their properties.

2. How is a circle and square homeomorphism different from a circle and square isomorphism?

A circle and square homeomorphism is a weaker form of equivalence compared to a circle and square isomorphism. While a homeomorphism allows for stretching and bending, an isomorphism requires a more rigid transformation without any distortion.

3. What are some real-life examples of circle and square homeomorphism?

One example of a circle and square homeomorphism in real life is the transformation of a round pizza (circle) into a square pizza through stretching and flattening. Another example is the transformation of a round balloon (circle) into a square balloon through twisting and reshaping.

4. What is the significance of circle and square homeomorphism in mathematics?

The concept of circle and square homeomorphism helps to establish a deeper understanding of the topological properties of shapes and their relationship. It also has practical applications in areas such as computer graphics and image processing.

5. How is circle and square homeomorphism related to the concept of topology?

Topology is the branch of mathematics that studies the properties of shapes and spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations. Circle and square homeomorphism is a fundamental concept in topology that helps to classify and understand different shapes and their topological properties.