1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle at speed of light

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circle of radius R travels in the x direction with velocity c. The center of the circle is at -R at t = 0. a vertical line rests at x = 0. Find dr/dt, where r is the position of the intersection between the circle and the vertical line, and explain if this violates 2nd postulate of relativity.

2. Relevant equations

I already found
    dr/dt = c*cot(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

The speed approaches infinity when θ → 0... I seriously don't know how to start / which part of relativity I have to use to solve this extreme speed... Any hint to start the problem? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2
    Well in fact it may not do anything because nothing is traveling faster than c, it's just the collision of the 2 lines, and nothing is wrong with that.

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right. No physical object is moving with that speed.

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is an inadequate statement. It should be that nothing can travel as fast or faster than c, not just faster than c. (I am, of course, considering things with mass. Photons do travel at c and perhaps that's what you meant)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted