What is the equation of the tangent line to a circle passing through the origin?

In summary, you found the center and radius of the circle, and you determined that the radius was sqrt(2).
lPhoenixl

Homework Statement

Equation: x^2+y^2-6x-2y+8=0 Find the center and the radius.
(Help) : Find the equation of the tangent to the circle above that passes through the beginning of axis O (0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the center and radius and i believe the values are : C (3,1) and R =root(2) but can you explain me the second one

Sorry for my english.

I hope you'll understand it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your center and radius check out:
(x-3)^2 + (y-1)^2 -2 = x^2-6x+9+y^2-2y+1 -2 = x^2 + y^2 - 6x - 2y +10 - 2

Since your tangent line crosses through (0,0), it will be of the form x=my, where m is the slope. It will be perpendicular to your circle, so the formula for a line crossing through the tangent point and the center of the circle will be (x-3) = (-1/m)(y-1).

Now you need to find a slope "m" that will create an intersection between those equations that is on the circle: (x^2 + y^2 - 6x - 2y +8 = 0).

Also:
If you draw a picture, you will notice that there are two solutions. In both cases, a right triangle can be formed between (0,0), (3,1), and the tangent point. In both cases, the length of the hypotenuse will be sqrt(3^2+1^2) and the length of the leg that extends from the center of the circle will be sqrt(2). So the distance of the tangent points to the origin (0,0) can be easily computed.
So both tangent points will be on a circle centered at (0,0) with that radius. I'll let you set up that equation.

lPhoenixl said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the center and radius and i believe the values are : C (3,1) and R =root(2) but can you explain me the second one

How did you find the center and radius?

cristo said:
How did you find the center and radius?
I'm assuming that you only want an answer from the OP on this.

.Scott said:
I'm assuming that you only want an answer from the OP on this.
Yeah, I misread what the OP was asking. Thought s/he had obtained the center and radius but was asking why the radius was sqrt(2).

The equation for the tangent line is going to be y = kx, where k needs to be determined. You are looking for the intersection of y = kx with your circle. If you substitute y = kx into the equation for your circle, you get a quadratic equation, with the roots being the two points of intersection. If the line is tangent, there will only be one point of intersection (double root). This will be when the discrimanent is equal to zero.

What is the purpose of the "Circle Exercise Question"?

The purpose of the "Circle Exercise Question" is to test an individual's understanding of the properties of circles, such as radius, diameter, circumference, and area.

How is the "Circle Exercise Question" typically presented?

The "Circle Exercise Question" is typically presented as a diagram of a circle with various measurements labeled. The individual is then asked to solve for a specific measurement or to use the given measurements to solve for another property of the circle.

What are some common variations of the "Circle Exercise Question"?

Some common variations of the "Circle Exercise Question" include finding the length of an arc, calculating the volume of a cylinder, or using the Pythagorean theorem to find the radius or diameter.

What mathematical concepts are involved in solving the "Circle Exercise Question"?

Solving the "Circle Exercise Question" requires knowledge of basic geometry, such as the relationships between the different properties of a circle and how to use formulas to calculate them. It may also involve algebraic concepts, depending on the specific question.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Circle Exercise Question"?

The best way to improve your skills in solving "Circle Exercise Question" is by practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with the properties and formulas of circles. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular question or concept.