1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle Geometry Help/Proof

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    I was wondering if the common chord of two intersecting circles subtends an equal angle in both circles at the circumference (in no special cases i.e different radii circles etc)

If not, are there any special case(s) where this would work, making these two triangles similar or ABDC is a kite/special quadrilateral...

(see diagram please)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you move D along its circle, the angle doesn't change.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Yes, but is angle ADC equal to the angle subtended by the same chord in the other circle (angle ABC)

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try looking at the picture if you move D like robphy suggested??

6. Oct 9, 2011 #5
    when D is in the circle, ABC=ADC

I have come up with a proof which says otherwise to robphy for when B and D are on different circles, UNLESS is it is missing a link (which is likely)

I added a centre to each of the circles and found that angle ADC is only equal to angle ABC is AO1CO2 (where O1 & 02 are the centres of the circles) is a rhombus (opposite angles equal) so that 2α=2β

Let my know the missing link I am making then for it to be true for all cases, as suggested by robphy.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook