1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle in parabola

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1
    Hi I am stuck on the following:

Find the centre of a circle with a radius of 1 inscribed in the parabola [tex]y=x^2[/tex].

I am kinda stuck:grumpy:

http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=csacacfu8.png
    the white line is length=1

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I'll do a much simpler example and see if it helps you. Imagine you want to find the point where a unit circle centered at some point on the y-axis is tangent to the x-axis. Clearly we want the center at (0,1) or (0,-1). But another way to find this is to look at where a unit circle centered at (0,h) intersects the line y=0. This is found as the set of simultaneous solutions to:

[tex](y-h)^2+x^2=1[/tex]
    [tex]y=0[/tex]

which is just the set of solutions to:

[tex] x^2+h^2=0[/tex]

If |h|>1, there are no solutions (which reflects the fact that the circle doesn't touch the x-axis), if |h|<1, there are two solutions (the circle straddles rhe x-axis and intersects it in two points), and if h=1 or h=-1, there is one solution, where the circle is tangent, which is just what we expected. Can you figure out how to extend this to your question?

4. Aug 6, 2006 #3
    errr..im still confused, although I do understand what youve done I dont know how to apply it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?