Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle in the complex plane

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a set of experimental data that I am trying to fit to an equation; but I have what I believe is a a silly problem (something I would probably have solved in 5 minutes 10 years ago....)
    Anyway, the data set consists of a complex impedance as a function of a normalized frequency (the parameter x below).
    Now, if I plot my data in the complex plane (i.e. Im(f) vs. Re(f) ) I get a nice circle which I can easily fit using a standard algorithm; from this fit I get the coordinates of the centre of the circle (C, a complex number) and its radius (R)

[itex] |z-C|=R^2 [/itex].

Now to my problem. The equation I am trying to fit to is

[itex]\frac{1+a_2xi}{a_1+a_2xi}[/itex]

which describes a circle in the complex plane when plotted as a function of the parameter x (but the points are not equidistant).
    The goal is to determine [itex]a_1, a_2 [/itex]

How do I rewrite this equation in a form where I can use my known values (R and C) to determine [itex]a_1, a_2 [/itex]?

I am really stuck, I realize that the equation looks like a bilinear transformation but I am not even sure if that helps or not(?)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted