Circle of Curvature: Find Equation for Space Curve

In summary, you find the radius of curvature and calculate the unit tangent vector. You then find the center of the circle by using the normal vector and the radius.
nns91

Homework Statement

I am given a space curve r(t)= t i + sin(t) j and point (pi/2,1). They ask me to find an equation for the circle of curvature.

Homework Equations

Kappa, T, N, not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have found the radius of curvature which is row= 1/kappa= 1 at the given point. I have also found out T which is the unit tangent vector. Do I have to find the unit normal vector also ?

How do I write the equation ? will it just be (x-pi/2)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nns91

what do you need to define a circle in the plane?
- a radius
- a circle centre
The equation of a cirlce of centre (a,b) and radius r is
[tex] (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 [/tex]

You have your radius from
[tex] r = \frac{1}{\kappa} [/tex]
Also are you sure \kappa is 1? how did you get this?

how do you find the centre of the circle? It is not (pi/2,1). This is a point on your curve. Think about the unit normal direction.

you should also consider whether you curve is unit speed or whether you need to normalise...

I calculate Kappa and got like sqrt(1+cos^2(t)) / sin(t). Then I substitute pi/2 for t and get 1. Am I right ??

I still don't get the relationship between center of circle and the unit normal direction.

My curve is not a unite speed curve I think since it is r(t) instead of v(t)

try drawing your curve and imagine where the circle sits, the tangent of the curve will match the tangent of the circle

the normal direction will point toward (or away) from the centre of the circle

you curve is unit speed instanaeously at that point (calulate |dr/dt|, but not in general so you may need to be careful with your calcs and check what this affects... I'm not totally sure without looking back at the equations which I don't have handy

Also I'm not too sure how you got it, but I think your curvature value is correct, if you are speaking about absolute curvature. If we are talking about signed curvature need to be careful as it could be + or - depending on how things are defined.

Last edited:
WIll the normal direction point toward the center of the circle ?

either directly toward or directly away depending on your parameterisation & curvature definition

Then how do I find the center of the circle base on the normal vector ?

you have a point on the circle (ie the point on your curve) a direction to the centre (normal vector) and a radius (from you curvature)... should have everything you need

so the radius is the distance from the center to the point, so do I use the distance formula then ?

1. What is the Circle of Curvature for a Space Curve?

The Circle of Curvature is a geometric concept that describes the curvature of a space curve at a particular point. It is defined as the circle that best approximates the curve at that point, with the same curvature and direction.

2. How is the Equation for the Circle of Curvature for a Space Curve derived?

The equation for the Circle of Curvature is derived using the Frenet-Serret formulas, which relate the curvature and torsion of a space curve to its unit tangent, normal, and binormal vectors at a given point. By solving these equations, we can find the center and radius of the circle of curvature, and thus its equation.

3. Can the Equation for the Circle of Curvature be used to determine the shape of a Space Curve?

Yes, the equation for the Circle of Curvature provides valuable information about the shape of a space curve at a specific point. It can be used to determine the curvature and torsion of the curve, as well as the direction in which it is turning at that point.

4. What is the significance of the Circle of Curvature in Differential Geometry?

The Circle of Curvature is an important concept in Differential Geometry, as it helps to understand the local behavior of a space curve. It provides a way to measure the rate of change of the curve's direction, and is essential in the study of surfaces and higher-dimensional spaces.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Circle of Curvature in Science and Engineering?

Yes, the Circle of Curvature has many practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It is used to model the motion of objects, design smooth and efficient curves in engineering, and simulate the behavior of physical systems.