Circle of Cylinders: Finding Length & Area

In summary: The diagram does not make it very clear. The length of the wire can be found using the following equation:(2Rn) sin(pi/n) + r(phi)
Evales
I have an EPW that I don't quite know how to get started.
Below is the EPW question and then after that is what I am stuck with.

There are n identical cylinders glued upright to a board. Each cylinder has a radius of r and that centers of their bases lie on a large cirlce of radius R They are even spaced around the circle. A loop of wire encloses the cylinders.

Find in terms of n, r and R,
1. The length of the loop
2. The area contained by the loop
3. Do these formulae hold when there are two cylinders?

I was wondering how you find the amount of the wire that is around the cylinder. Surely it changes for the number of cylinders, but how? Also for question 2 I will need a way to calculate the angle. My working is below:
Using two cylinders as an example, the circumference of an entire circle in looped with wire is eventually made as it loops around both of the cylinders and connects together, so perhaps the amount of wire touching each cylinder = (circumference of the cylinder)/n but judging from the existence of question 3 I could be wrong, can someone confirm my answer?

By the way, I understand picturing these questions may be hard, try drawing a quick diagram of the two cylinder thing and perhaps 3 cylinders (it helps)

Also, Math Help Forum is not working, does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify something, the cylinders are positioned such that they are tightly packed within the circle on the board? And does this imply that the cylindrical bases do not cross the circumference of the circle on the board with radius R?

No the center of the cylinders lie on the circumference of the large circle R.

Look at my diagram it makes it easier.

I have now found that the length of the wire can be given by:

(2Rn) sin(pi/n) + r(phi)

Bare in mind (in relation to my diagram) That:
Theta = (2pi/ n)
The length of a chord = (2r) sin[(1/2)(theta)]

I simply don't know what phi is. I think that phi is equal to theta. But I don't have any mathematical proof.

And anyone help me with the mathematical proof?

Attachments

• Circles.JPG
    Circles.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 470
Me said:
And anyone help me with the mathematical proof?

**Can anyone help me with the mathematical proof?

It seems to me to be a simple problem. The large circle has radius R. On it you center a smaller circle of radius r. One point of that smaller circle, then, will haved distance r+ R from the center of the larger circle. It looks to me like the loop of wire will be an n-gon with circum-radius R+r.

HallsofIvy

I don't quite understand what you mean are you saying there is only one circle?

1. What is a circle of cylinders?

A circle of cylinders is a geometric shape formed by arranging multiple cylinders in a circular pattern. The cylinders are all equal in size and are placed adjacent to each other, forming a continuous circle.

2. How do you find the length of a circle of cylinders?

To find the length of a circle of cylinders, you need to know the radius of each cylinder and the number of cylinders in the circle. Multiply the radius by 2 and then multiply that by the number of cylinders to get the total length of the circle.

3. How do you find the area of a circle of cylinders?

The area of a circle of cylinders is the sum of the areas of all the individual cylinders in the circle. To find the area of one cylinder, use the formula A = πr2, where r is the radius of the cylinder. Multiply this by the number of cylinders in the circle to get the total area.

4. Can a circle of cylinders have a different number of cylinders on each layer?

Yes, a circle of cylinders can have a different number of cylinders on each layer as long as the total number of cylinders forms a continuous circle. For example, a circle of cylinders with 8 cylinders on the first layer, 12 on the second layer, and 16 on the third layer would still be a circle of cylinders.

5. What are some real-world applications of a circle of cylinders?

A circle of cylinders is commonly seen in various structures such as silos and grain bins, which are used for storage of materials. It is also used in engineering and architecture for creating strong and stable columns. Additionally, a circle of cylinders can be used to represent the shape of a wheel or a circular staircase.