1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle optimization

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A man with a boat is located at point P on the shore of a circular lake of radius 5 miles. He wants to reach the point Q on the shore diametrically opposed to P as quickly as possible. He plans to paddle his boat at an angle t(0<t<pi/2)<or equal to** to PQ to some point R on the shore, then walk along the shore to his Q. If he can paddle 3.4 miles per hour and walk at 3.8 miles per hour, what is the shortest possible time it will take him to reachQ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've got one part of the problem, and I understand the concept of optimization, but how would i find the length of the paddle distance?

((t*10pi)/(2pi)) this is what i came up with to find the length of his walking distance. then divide that by 3.8 and divide whatever his paddle distance is by 3.4 to have total time. If I have the formula, I can easily differentiate it, so no need to do any of that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    I figure if i draw a line perpendicular to the center point I can find part of the length of the distance, but how would i go from there to the whole length

4. Dec 3, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A geometry theorem: An angle of measure [/itex]\theta[/itex] with vertex on a circle of radius r cuts of arc with angular measure [itex]\theta/2[/itex] and so length [itex]\frac{\theta r}{2}[/itex]. In this case, the lake has radius 5 mi., so the distance he must walk around the lake is [itex]\frac{5\theta}{2}[/itex] mi
    The straight line distance he must paddle is a little harder. The arc from P to the point where he lands has angular measure [itex]\pi- \theta/2[/itex] and that is the angle the two radii from those points measure at the center. Use the cosine law to determine the length of the third side of a triangle with two sides of length 5 and angle between them [itex]\pi- \theta/2[/itex].

5. Dec 3, 2006 #4
    thank you, when I get home I'll see if the online webwork takes the my answer.

6. Dec 3, 2006 #5
    gimme a sec lemme look how to type in the itex thing, it doesn't seem to like my answer

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  7. Dec 3, 2006 #6
    [itex]\frac{\frac{5\theta}{2}}{3.8}[/itex]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?