Solving a Circle Problem: Max Arc Length

• Thread starter Moni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving two circles, where the goal is to find the radius of one circle that will result in the maximum arc length of the other circle within it. The conversation includes suggestions and ideas on how to solve the problem, such as using a compass and the Bisection Method. Ultimately, it is determined that the optimal radius is between sqrt(d^2+r2^2) and sqrt(d^2-r2^2), where d is the distance between the centers of the circles and r2 is the radius of the smaller circle.
Moni
Hello! I am back! :)...little busy for few days...exams and projects :(...but at last... :)

A math problem can you help? :

Given a circle: C1 centre at (a,b) and radius r1.

Now there is a point outside the circle: (m,n) say this is the centre of the 2nd circle C2.

Now you have to measure the radius r2 of the C2 that gives maximum arc length of part of the C2, inside C1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have any starting ideas?

Originally posted by NateTG
Do you have any starting ideas?

Sorry! I can't get you!
please make it clear!

Hi Moni, thanks for the PM, you blocked other members from sending you PMs so I will just leave you a note here :) I hope your exams went well. Monique

Well, I can see the answer, but it wouldn't help you any if I just told you what it was.

So, I was wondering if you had any ideas about how to sove the problem to start out with.

Perhaps you used a compass to make drawings or something?

P.S. It should be pretty obvious that r1 is unimportant

Oh! I was just solving a geometry puzzle :)

But this is not that easy as I thought...so posted...

Can you tell me the solution?

So, we've got circle C1 with it's center at (a,b) and circle C2 which does not contain (a,b), that has radius r2 center at (c,d).

Then the raidus of the circle around (a,b) that has maximal arc length inside C2 is at most
sqrt((a-c)2+(b-d)2+r22)

This is the radius of the circle centered at (a,b) that intersects with C2 in two places that form a diameter.

It's a little tricky to explain without drawings, but it's easy to show that any longer radius would lead to a smaller section of arc.

Proving the other direction is a bit trickier.

Thanks Nate!

I have shown to another this problem...

And he says something like:

r1 is Radius of C2 (variable)
r2 is Radius of C1
d is distance of both centers
r1*r1-x*x = r2*r2-(d-x)*(d-x)
r1*r1-x*x = r2*r2-d*d+2*d*x-x*x
r1*r1-r2*r2+d*d = 2*d*x
phi = acos(x/r1)
arclen(r1) = r1*acos((d*d-r2*r2+r1*r1)/2.0/d/r1)

And then he suggested to use Bisection Method!

Well, I'm pretty positive that the optimal radius is
sqrt(d2+r22)

Originally posted by NateTG
Well, I'm pretty positive that the optimal radius is
sqrt(d2+r22)

How you've come onto this formula ?

Last edited:
I may be misunderstanding your problem, but it's the radius that makes a diameter of the small circle a sector of the large circle.

I am positive that the optimal large radius is between
sqrt(d2+r2)
and
sqrt(d2-r2)
for geometric reasons.

I still didn't find any clue :frown:

1. What is a circle problem?

A circle problem involves finding the solution to a mathematical question that is related to circles, such as finding the maximum arc length.

2. How do you find the maximum arc length of a circle?

To find the maximum arc length of a circle, you can use the formula: arc length = radius x central angle, where the central angle is measured in radians.

3. What is the importance of solving a circle problem?

Solving a circle problem helps us understand the properties and relationships of circles, which are essential in fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving circle problems?

Circle problems have numerous real-life applications, such as calculating the circumference of a circle for building circular structures like bridges and wheels, determining the area of circular objects like pizza or plates, and predicting the trajectory of circular motion in physics.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving circle problems?

Yes, there are several tricks and shortcuts for solving circle problems, such as memorizing the formulas for circumference and area, using special angles (e.g., 30-60-90 or 45-45-90) to simplify calculations, and using the Pythagorean theorem for right triangles inscribed in circles.