Proving Closest Point on Circle to (3,4): Calculus Solution

In summary: The equation of the line through the center of the circle and (3,4) is y=4x+9. The line intersects the circle at (3.14,4.56).
science.girl

Homework Statement

Show that the point (3/5, 4/5) is the closest point on the circle x[tex]^{2}[/tex] + y[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 1 to the point (3, 4).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The only equation that comes to mind is the distance formula... but I don't know what I would show with that. I know the solution deals with calculus, I just don't know what concepts to apply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you write down the distance formula for any point on the circle to the point (3,4), and show that the minimum occurs at the point (3/5, 4/5)?

JG89 said:
Why don't you write down the distance formula for any point on the circle to the point (3,4), and show that the minimum occurs at the point (3/5, 4/5)?

Ah, that makes sense. One question, though... do I have to solve the original equation for x1 and y1 before substituting into the distance equation? (I just don't see how you set up the circle equation and various points via the distance equation.) From there, though, I know how to find the minimum.

You don't have to solve for y- you can use "inplicit differentiation". But you don't have to differentiate at all:

One crucial point about "min distance" is that the line from a point to a curve that is of minimum distance is perpendicular to the (tangent to the) curve. And, since this is a circle, a tangent is always perpendicular to the radius. The minimum distance from a point to a circle is always measured along the extended radius of the circle.

Since a radius goes through the center, what is the equation of the line through the center of this circle and (3,4)? where does that line intersect the circle? (There will be two points where that line intersects the circle, of course, but one is obviously "nearest", the other "farthest" from the point.)

1. What is the concept of "closest point" on a circle?

The concept of "closest point" on a circle refers to the point on the circumference of a circle that is closest to a given point. In other words, it is the point on the circle that has the shortest distance to the given point.

2. How is the distance between two points calculated?

The distance between two points can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the case of finding the distance between two points, the hypotenuse would be the distance, and the other two sides would be the differences in the x and y coordinates of the two points.

3. What is the purpose of finding the closest point on a circle?

Finding the closest point on a circle can be useful in a variety of applications, such as optimization problems, navigation, and finding the shortest distance between two points. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and geometry.

4. How is the closest point on a circle to a given point determined using calculus?

To find the closest point on a circle to a given point using calculus, we first need to define a distance function that represents the distance between the given point and any point on the circle. Then, we use the derivative of this distance function to find the minimum distance, which corresponds to the closest point on the circle.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the closest point on a circle?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the closest point on a circle, such as using the equation of the circle and setting it equal to the distance between the given point and any point on the circle. However, using calculus provides a more efficient and generalizable approach for finding the closest point on a circle and can be extended to finding the closest point on any curve.