1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle surface area

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    Hi

How is circular surface area values square rooted ??. I am using this formula r2Xπ=mm2 to calculate the surface area of a circle but i want to know if there is a formula to get back to the diameter or the radius of the circle ?.

example i have a circular surface area of 5.26mm2 and i want the diameter of that value, how do i solve this ?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

[itex] S=\pi r^2 \Rightarrow r^2=\frac{S}{\pi} \Rightarrow r=\sqrt{\frac{S}{\pi}} [/itex]

4. Nov 21, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the replay Shyan.

a circel with a diameter of 1.29mm 0.6452π = 1.30 The formula you mentioned √s/π gives a value of 0.362.. ???

Could you show me an example, I would be very thanks full

5. Nov 21, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Careful boy! Its not [itex] r=\frac{\sqrt{S}}{\pi} [/itex], its [itex] r=\sqrt{\frac{S}{\pi}} [/itex].

6. Nov 21, 2014 #5
    :D

Thanks

7. Nov 21, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

We don't call it "surface area" - just area. Surface area applies to surfaces in three dimensions. For objects in the plane (two dimensions), we talk about the area.
    The actual formula is ##A = \pi r^2##. If r is given in mm., then the units of area will be square millimeters or mm2. The formula shouldn't explicitly show units.
    From the equation ##A = \pi r^2##, to get the radius, solve for r. To do this, divide both sides of the equation by ##\pi##, then take the square root. Once you have the radius r, you can get the diameter using d = 2r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook